1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error when copying files onto SDHC card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KevinK, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Trying to put music on my 32GB SDHC card, put it in the slot in my laptop and if I do one file at a time it works fine - then all of a sudden I get an error saying something about the file I'm trying to copy over being corrupt. Also, sometime I try and copy all the files over at once (say about 12GB) and it runs through fine then when I go to the card through my computer it's created the folders but there's nothing in them (still appears it's on the card when I look at the free memory). Tried formatting both fat32 and exfat. Also got a 16GB SDHC card which gives me no issues.

2. jamielogue

jamielogue

try formatting to ntfs or something else

3. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Won't format to NTFS but trying to put music on it so I can use it for my stereo in my car, which probably wouldn't recognise NTFS anyway.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some card readers have issues with larger cards even if they claim to SDHC cards. Have you checked for driver updates for the card reader in your laptop? What is the exact model of the laptop you have?

Also, where did you buy this SD card? There's tons of fake USB sticks and SD cards floating around eBay, flea or electronics markets, and other non established stores all the time. If you bought it from a reputable retailer than it's legit.

You almost certainly need to stay with a FAT file system unless the device claims to read other formats.

5. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

It's an HP Pavillion G6 I have, just checked for updates through device manager and says my drivers are up to date. I did buy the SD card off of ebay (only cost £9 and not branded like my 16GB Lexar one so I guess it's possible/likely it's fake).

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Device Manager is not an effective way to check for updates as it'll only check Microsoft Update and not the manufacturer. You'd have to go to the HP website and look up the drivers for your specific model(full model number is on the bottom of the laptop).

It very well could be fake, it's always risky buying such stuff of eBay as there are tons of fakes floating around as well as simply faulty products being resold or unknowingly sold.

7. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

What os are you using?

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  9. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Apologies, also have an HP utility which regularly checks for updates to drivers so I'm sure everything is up to date

Windows 7 Home Premium

I'd actually found that utility from google and used it already but thanks :) Got the following log:

Warning: Only 31354 of 31355 MByte tested.
    The media is likely to be defective.
    1.8 GByte OK (3804599 sectors)
    28.8 GByte DATA LOST (60408393 sectors)
    Details:14.2 MByte overwritten (29257 sectors)
    0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
    28.7 GByte corrupted (60379136 sectors)
    14.2 MByte aliased memory (29257 sectors)
    First error at offset: 0x00000000741b6e00
    Expected: 0x00000000741b6e00
    Found: 0x41a33f29c0b9ffb7
    H2testw version 1.3
    Writing speed: 11.5 MByte/s
    Reading speed: 12.3 MByte/s
    H2testw v1.4

Guessing it's fake/defective - sent the guy a message on ebay :rolleyes:

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sadly that utility also doesn't check for all the drivers either and it mostly does HP software, the manual method is the only way.

But indeed, it sounds like you in fact have a 2GB card or its defective.

11. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Cheers, it's a G6-1371EA, downloading the driver manually now although I'm pretty sure it's the card.

12. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If it is a fake and the seller isn't helpful open a case on Ebay asap - that usually gets results.

13. KevinK

KevinK Thread Starter

Cheers, sent them a few messages and no reply so opened a case - sure I will get the £9 refunded.

Any clue of reputable places I can buy a replacement online? Don't mind paying a little extra, needs to go to UK though.

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083072

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice