1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error when i turn on computer!!help!!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by glowworm570, Sep 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glowworm570

glowworm570 Thread Starter

Hi, I am having a problem when i first start my computer, i have windows me,a few weeks ago it started when i turned on my computer and after the Compaq screen came on i got a black screen which told me about my computer and then said to f1 to resume and then everything started up so i went to Compaq and they said i needed a new rtc battery which i got and i replaced but i still get the same message along with FDC failure?why is this happening. Also now when i go to system resources it says drive a is using a ms-dos compatibility mode file system and my system now uses a lot of memory. what is going on with this. any help would be appreciated. thanks:)

2. Rockn

Rockn

Can you get into the BIOS? Once the battery went dead it probably set all of your settings for hard drives and everything else to the BIOS defaults. also open the case, you may have bumped the FD cable loose when mucking around to replace the battery. Is the battery installed correctly?

3. glowworm570

yes the battery is in correct but how do i change the bios back to the way it should be??:confused:

4. greengeek

greengeek

F10 should get you into Compaq BIOS but you probably won't find many options to change anything.

5. glowworm570

ok then but how do the bios backto the way it was? and what about the ms dos i was talking about,How do i correct that??

6. Rockn

Rockn

You have to go into the BIOS and change the settings for the hard drive for the one that is in the PC and the settings for the floppy drive and those messages will go away. They are BIOS POST messages not DOS messages.

7. glowworm570

is that under the advance in the bios, i am new at this so i am not sure what to do??? very confused.. thanks for you help with this.

8. glowworm570

:confused: Hi, whenever i turn on my computer i receive an Fdc error and then it tells me to f1 to resume then everything comes up OK, why is this happening, it started a couple of weeks ago, i changed the battery and that didn't work thats when the fdc error came up. what could be causing it to happen.. thanks

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy glowworm570...

FDC= Floppy Disk Controller...

I would suspect that after changing the CMOS battery, it lost the settings for the floppy drive, try going into the BIOS and make sure that the floppy is set to 1.44 3.5...

10. glowworm570

do you know exactly where that is at ?is it in the advance part of the bios, i am not sure new to this??

11. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Don't know which BIOS you have, it should be in the Standard Settings...

12. glowworm570

how would i find out which bios i have, i have a compaq computer running windows millenium?

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Can you post the Menu's listed in the BIOS ?

Not a Compaq fan, but if I'm not misstaken they use either AMI, or Award...

14. glowworm570

ok i got the fdc error to go away but when i turn on my computer i still have the same problem with it showing everything i have and then telling me to f1. this is when it all started!!thanks for the fdc though-i did figure that one out!!!

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...Is there any other messages before it tells you to hit F1 ?

Sounds like something else isn't set in the BIOS...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!