1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error when loading and possible hard drive issue (3 month old pc)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by banderovtsi, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. banderovtsi

banderovtsi Thread Starter

I bought the toshiba satellite 3 months ago with Windows 8 pre-installed, and last week I updated to Windows 8.1. For three days the computer would freeze (every few hours) and I would have to restart by holding the power button. I only use it for school so all I used was internet and adobe reader, no games or anything.

Yesterday after freezing again I restarted but this time instead of seeing the desktop I saw a blue screen saying windows failed giving this error;

0cx000021a

It began automatic repairs and tried to resolve the error but it didn't work. It brought me to a screen where I could chose to refresh, reset, continue to windows. I continued to windows a few times but it didn't work. I had no restore points set so I chose to refresh it. This failed so I chose to reset it to factory settings, this also failed. The same error came up after these attempts to fix it.

I brought it back to the store and they told me this was common after the 8.1 update and said I needed to reinstall windows for $150. I know how to do this so I made an .iso of 8.1 and tried to reinstall which made more problems.

I inserted iso DVD and it was unable to boot. I also tried using a bootable USB using windows DVD/USB download tool, but it also failed to boot.

I checked BIOS and it was set as USB>ODD>HDD>ethernet. The USB only booted when I turned off secure boot and changed UEFI to CMS. When windows installer came to the partition screen it had this warning;
    Windows cannot be installed on this disk, the disk may fail soon

I tried using a program called sea tools to check HDD and it froze, so I'm not sure what to do. The computer is under warranty but I would rather do this myself than go two weeks without the laptop.

Any help is appreciated! Sorry for the long post

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe it's common with the PCs they sell, but it is not common in general.

Sounds like the hard drive is defective. But maybe it's a larger problem. If you don't want to take advantage of the warranty I suggest that you replace the hard drive and hope that is the only problem. Do you have a way to install/restore Windows 8.1 after replacing the hard drive? If not, considering your minimum cost to repair will be nearly as much as a low-end PC--buy a low end PC to use while this possible lemon is undergoing warranty work. I don't normally advise buying computers at WalMart, but they have a selection for under $300 with free shipping or in-store pickup.

3. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. There is IMHO only ONE viable course of action to take.
    That is to invoke a claim under warrantry for repair of the laptop

2. You have with respect got yourself in a right mess.
    I do appreciate that this is NOT through any carelessness on your part - rather because of a lack of knowledge

3. That Toshiba having 8 preinstalled was UEFI firmware with a GPT partitioned disc.
    UEFI is Unified Extensible Firmware Interface
    GPT is Globally Unique Identifier Partition Table

4. As you found out you cannot make a bootable USB using the Microsoft windows download tool as it prepares the USB in MBR form and not GPT and UEFI firmware will only boot from a GPT partitioned drive.

5. There are ways to make such a USB drive
    http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

6. I doubt, although of course it is a possibility that the disc is failing, unless it has been subjected to a shock, whilst it was running - presuming it is not an SSD drive.
    More likely I think, is that the system is confused as you are trying to install from an MBR drive, as that is how you have made the USB tool - to a GPT partition disc.

7. By disabling secure boot and enabling CSM (I presume CMS is either a mistype or simply another meaning) of Compatibility Support Mode., you have managed to get a boot, as GPT will not boot from an NTFS file system on an MBR disc, it will read such a disc, but not boot from it.
    HOWEVER as I said it will now boot from the USB in CSM, but it cannot be used to install to a GPT drive.

8. I am a little confused - how did you make the 8.1 ISO - forgetting the discovered problem of preparing the flash drive incorrectly

9. The original error
    0cx000021a
    is usually caused, by unsuitable software, drivers, or the use of registry cleaners, boosters, which remove vital files required for windows to load.

10. Personally I think you are going no where with this - except to further lessen your chances of a repair without too much cost - from Toshiba

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1115405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice