1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error when looking at pics

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ell365, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ell365

ell365 Thread Starter

hey anyone!

Everytime I try to look through my pictures in 'my pictures' i get this error message:

The instruction at "0x7c92ae22" referenced memory at "0x00000086". The memory could not be read.

OK to Cancel
    Cancel to Debug

Can anyone help me!!

ell. :)

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

What program?

3. ell365

ell365 Thread Starter

just when looking through the 'my pictures' folder from the 'my documents' folder.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

So you aren't actually opening the pictures, just looking through the folder?

What program do you usually use to look at the pictures? Is this a new problem that occurred after adding pictures to the folder recently?

5. ell365

ell365 Thread Starter

I'm not using a program, I'm just looking at them as thumbnails to copy into documents, but as soon as I open the folder, before I can select a thumbnail, I get the error message. Usually if i look at the pictures, I just go onto 'view as slideshow' but thats not causing the error. The problem started i think when i added them.

But it could also be when I installed a piece of software that speeds up your computer. I uninstalled this afterwards as I did not like it, and now this happens, and also the writing that says messages such as 'shutting down' that appears just before the PC turns off is in italics. Sorry for not putting that before.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I realize that you are not running any program to actually look at the pictures, but it may be monitoring the picture folder in the background, anyway.

I'd start by running chkdsk /r on the drive containing the pictures. (Start > Run: chkdsk /r, and answer "Y" to any questions. Reboot.).

If that didn't help, start in Safe Mode and see if you can open the folder. If you can, try to isolate the problem file by breaking them up into smaller folders until you know which one is causing the problem. If new ones were just added, put those in their own folder.

What was the name of the "speedup" app?

7. ell365

ell365 Thread Starter

hey thanks for the help, I'll try that.

the app was called Game XP 1.6.1.20 - 9x/ME/2000/XP (English)

here is the link for it: http://www.theorica.net/download.htm

its the 4th one down.

thankyou again.

8. ell365

ell365 Thread Starter

5th one down sorry!

ell.:)

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

That looks like a good program. The problem I have with those "all-or-nothing" optimization programs is that there are "tweaks' included that I don't agree with and that can't be removed from the overall changes the programs make. For example, just skimming through the information, it looks like the program shuts off the 8.3 filenames needed by older programs and installers to function at all. And it seems not to update the "last-access" record of files. Both of those have minimal effects on speed and lead to other problems. Many defragmenters, for example, need the update information to determine file placements on the drive and make large errors without that data.

There are a few, small changes that will speed up the system, but MS has already tried to optimize the system, as you can imagine. So any tweaks usually mean loss of some functionality.

10. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

From it's description "Stops explorer from caching thumbnail pictures."

It also indicates that you can "Save the current state of Windows or restore the state to its previous saved state."

Of course, you saved the current state before running it??
    Did you restore the previous state?

BTW it also disable your automatic Windows updates and turned off Scheduler. So if you had scheduled tasks, they are no longer running.

11. ell365

ell365 Thread Starter

what do you guys think about the italics on everything? I get it as i say on shutting down, web search engine boxes, results etc. and i can still manually update windows can't I? If so, were is that?

thankyou!

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Just sounds like the font was changed. You should be able to change that in Display Properties.

To uopdate, just go to the Windows Update site, under Tools in Internet Explorer.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!