1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error when new program writes to registry

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by jwr051241, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jwr051241

jwr051241 Thread Starter

I have been trying to install the Amazon Games and Software Downloader for a couple months. The installation goes along fine until it is creating registry entries. At that point it hits an error and quits. I have just used Winzip Registry repair which cleaned up over 1000 errors on my 5-year-old Gateway desktop. I rebooted and still have the same problem. I am running Windows 7. The message I get is "An error occurred before Amazon Games & Software Downloader could finish installing."
    I have had this software installed previously but lost it a couple years ago.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 8450 Triple-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 2 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 3
    RAM: 3839 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 461107 MB, Free - 399607 MB; H: Total - 15829 MB, Free - 4661 MB;
    Motherboard: Gateway, RS780
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

the first thing i would try is to right click on the file and choose run as administrator. i had this stop an installation one time even though i was logged in as an administrator. if that doesn't work, create a new user account and try the install from there. if that works, your original account is corrupted and the fix is to move everything to the new account. don't delete the old account, and make sure the new account has the same privileges (standard or administrator).

3. jwr051241

jwr051241 Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestions. Unfortunately, neither resolved the problem.

4. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

it could be a corrupted file that is trying to install. i would check to see if you can install it on another computer. the other thing i would think was something along the lines of installing a 32 bit app on a 64 bit system, but you said you had it installed before, so that wouldn't be it. the only other thing i can think of right now is to turn off the uac if it's on.

5. jwr051241

jwr051241 Thread Starter

I have installed the program on my laptop, also running Windows 7. Supposedly the people at Amazon.com checked over the program to be sure it is set up properly. This is the program needed to install any games or software downloaded from amazon.com. I turned off the uac with no change in the results.

6. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

provided the laptop is 64 bit also, i got nothing else on this, sorry i couldn't help.

7. jwr051241

jwr051241 Thread Starter

I really appreciate the effort.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089681

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice