Error when trying to open Downloads Folder [Windows 10]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GuiltyAsCharged

I have a problem when I try to open Downloads.

At the point I click to open the message is always: Not Responding with 'Working on it'.

Tried to reboot, but did not fix.

Is this something I can fix without losing what is in the folder?

Thanks so much in advance!

Probably something is wrong with the drive. Right click command prompt open as admin. Type in 'chkdsk /f' If it happens that the error resides on a file, then there is a chance the file might be removed. Usually it tries to preserve everything, but you don't know for sure.

I wonder if he (or she) is having problems with File Explorer where you can not open any folder and computer is struggling with the command.
Try going to task manager and restarting file explorer. I know it is a temporary fix, but you may be able to open Downloads folder and perhaps copy all the files downloaded to a thumb drive just to be safe.

GuiltyAsCharged

Thanks to the respondents. I just checked my folders again after about 24 hours. Problem fixed!

I had followed one piece of advice earlier, to not have all items in the folders presented as thumbnails. This seemed like a fairly low-impact approach, so I tried it first. It didn't seem to make a difference then. As far as I can tell it must have been the fix as I have not tried anything else or even rebooted.

One of the mysteries I guess. And yeah, I am going to be copying the folder contents JUST IN CASE!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online