1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error with shortcut key control key and left mouse

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by alanroy, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alanroy

alanroy Thread Starter

Using explorer, I often highlight a few files on the right pane using control key and left mouse click. Helping a friend do this on his computer I came across a bizarre thing. Having highlighted 5 files in this way, and then let go of the control key and mouse, I was about to click and drag the files, when to my surprise, they replicated themselves as copies on the right hand pane where I was working. I tried repeatedly to carry out the basic operation that I have done thousands of times before, but every time I just ended up copying and pasting more and more files when I did not want to. I have turned the computer off and back on, but still the problem persists. I cannot even select these extra files to delete them without them replicating themselves still further. Any suggestions anyone???

2. Selppinevoli

Selppinevoli

Only hold down the control key when you're selecting the files, not when you're dragging them.

Holding down the control key and dragging results in the duplicate copies.

3. alanroy

alanroy Thread Starter

Hi Selppinevoli,
    Thank you for your reply. However, the problem of duplication occurs a second or two after I have released both the control key and the left mouse button. Simply highlighting multiple files using the control key and mouse, and doing nothing more than highlighting them, causes mysterious duplication. Could it be a virus? My paid version of AVG is bang up to date...but none the less, could it be a virus??

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!