Error Writing To Drive H: Files or Data may be lost

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sorry_I_Win

I've been having a lot of trouble lately with a SCSI hard drive. I hope someone out there can help. Occasionally (this seemed to happen when the drive was getting full, but I'm not sure that had anything to do with it) when I would try reading from the drive, the activity light would stay on for a while and I would get the error that I referred to in the subject line.

After this would happen, I would run scandisk. Most of the time, it stated that both copies of FAT did not match, but it seemed to fix it without much trouble.

The hard drive is a Quantum 4.3GB partitioned into two FAT32 2GB sections (F: & H
. The SCSI card is an AdvanSys Ultra Wide adapter. I have an external scanner and an internal CD-R drive that are SCSI as well. As far as I know the termination is correct.

To try and fix the problem, I backed up my data and repartitioned and formated the drive. I thought that had worked, but I'm still getting the same errors.

Is my hard drive dead? Should I try a low-level format? Buy a new SCSI card? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sorry_I_Win

Thanks for your reply, but I think I have fixed the problem. The problem was most likely due to the fact that my external SCSI cable was too long. My scanner came with a 3 foot cable. I recently replaced it with a six ft. cable. The added length was loading down the signals. Disconnecting the scanner seems to have stopped the error messages. The problem may also have been caused by some devices using parity and others not using parity. I know my hard drive and CD-R use parity, but I'm not sure about the scanner.

Makes sense. I wouldn't have thought of it though, so I'm glad you did

Thanks for letting us know.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online