1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Error193:0xc1 automatic services will not start

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Tinwolf, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tinwolf

Tinwolf Thread Starter

Hi all, new boy here.

As of today we have 2 XP pro machines that are behaving very strangely. The first thing reported was the network not working on one of them but on closer investigation the majority of automatic services are not started on these machines and when you try to start them you get the "error193:0xc1" notice.

The situation is the same in safe mode regardless of logon used.

Both PCs are protected with McAfee viruscan and running a check in safe mode finds nothing amiss.

I did find a comment on the internet that it`s caused by a folder called "program" on the root of the D drive and on one PC sure enuff the folder was there on the CD drive (no CD in the PC how weird is that?) I renamed the folder and it`s now vanished but the problem remains . I`ve searched (manually because search isn`t working) for any other folders called program or common (that from a microsoft site) but found nothing.

And before anybody asks things like hijackthis etc won`t help because the installer won`t start.

Any ideas?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918710

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice