1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Errors on upgraded old computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MN_N8VTech, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech Thread Starter

I have an old Gateway/4GB HD/ celeron proc./ 64mb RAM
    It came with windows 98, I upgraded it to 2000 pro and put in a DVD player (with software)and wireless card. I added everything all at once so I didnt record each step, but everything worked great at one point,but now as soon everything is booted up it flashes a real quick blue screen and restarts. There are no hardware conflicts showing and it will boot ok in safe mode. Could this be too much for the old dinosaur? Or am I missing something? or??????
    Theres nothing in it yet so Im open to format over agian or whatever.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

Sound like you got a hardware problem somewhere.

What I would do would be to remove the dvd player(check the jumpers), and wireless card and see if it boots that way.

If it does, then I would add them one at a time and see where it chokes on you.

If it doesnt then I would probably just reformat and then add the devices one at a time to see if that fixes it.

Probably faster than actually trying to troubleshoot the issue.

Oh, by the way....here are the minimum specs for 2k Pro.

In my opinion I would leave 98 on it. The OS alone is going to eat up a bunch of your hard drive space and you barely meet the minimum memory requirements. This thing will run dog slow on 2K.

At a minimum I would double the RAM if your board supports it.

3. MN_N8VTech

MN_N8VTech Thread Starter

Yea I guess youre right on just reformatting,that probably would be quicker, I just thought it might be something easy I missed. And I knew about the min. for 2000, I just figured it might work ok,its just the kids PC not much on it. But Im gonna take your advice and just leave 98 on it. Ill update with the result, thanks.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice