1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Errors trying to install Linux mint

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by catlady13, Jul 31, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catlady13

catlady13 Thread Starter

Hi, I am trying to install Linux mint on an HP envy rove 20. AIO for a friend. I have almost no experience with Linux . This pc has no OS at the moment. I am using a bootable USB stick.

I got to the GNU GRUB 2.02. I click on enter to install or proceed and I get 2 errors
    Error: failure reading sector 0x0 on hd0
    Error: you need to load the kernel first

I have tried searching the net but haven’t found anything helpful yet. Does this mean it is not finding the hard drive?
    Please help this Linux illiterate.
    Thank you

2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

It means there is an error so serious on the hard drive that it cannot install itself there.

3. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    If the hard drive is defective and the owner doesn't want to invest in a new hard drive, setting up a Linux Live install on a bootable flash drive is an option.

I'm posting with a computer that boots XenialPup Linux from a flash drive, and has no hard drive.

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

If you are running Linux directly from a USB/DVD, it would simply be called "Linux Live" instead of "Linux Live Install". ;)

5. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How did you make the Usb stick ? (Those errors may be about the stick not a hard drive.)

6. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Grub2 calls the first hard drive hd0 (and the next hard drive hd1).

7. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Maybe so but would a faulty hard drive stop Mint booting from a Usb stick ?

8. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

I don't know. I would assume though that the first error "failure reading sector 0x0 on hd0" would need to be resolved first.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I think it may have used hd0 for the Usb stick, I can't be sure though but if it has maybe the problem is on the stick, that's why I asked the OP how the stick was made.

10. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Yep, understand. Might be a good idea to run the hard drive manufacturer's Hard Drive Diag utility to check the hard drive though.

11. mohittomar13

mohittomar13

First Name:
    Mohit Tomar
    You can boot from the USB even if the HDD is non-existent on a system. Try to start a live session if you can and then try to check the SMART status of the HDD. I'm not sure but mint must contain some sort of application/software that can check for smart status on the HDD. I use the Kubuntu LTS version and I get the KDE Partition manager preinstalled on it. There must be something similar on Linux Mint, I guess.

Also, check that RAM is not faulty. You might need to do a little googling.

I hope this helps

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230833

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice