1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Errors Viewing Restored Images

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by chaze, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chaze

chaze Thread Starter

I accidentally deleted a bunch of old pictures from my camera that were in my Recycle Bin and now I'm trying to retrieve them. I downloaded Restoration, which has found the files, but when I copy (restore) them over, I receive errors trying to open them.

Using QuickTime Picture Viewer it tells me that a "suitable graphics importer could not be found."
    Using Windows Photo Viewer it tells me that "Photo Viewer doesn't support this file format" or I "don't have the latest updates to Photo Viewer."

The files are still in JPG format. Does anyone have any suggestions, or perhaps an alternative file recovery program to download?

Thank you.

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If they are in the" Recycle bin" all one needs to do is select them and right click and then select Restore, and they will be back, NO third party program needed.

I think this "Restoration" program messed them up.

3. chaze

chaze Thread Starter

I accidentally deleted them from the Recycle Bin, which is why I'm using a third party program.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Can you zip up one of the pictures, attach the zip file in your next post using the "Go Advanced" button, then click the paper clip icon to browse and attach the zip, then hit the upload button.

If you don't mind, I can look at the file and maybe see what went wrong.

The zip file needs to be 500k or smaller or it will not upload.

5. computerguy1990

computerguy1990

Sounds like the file has been partially written over as when you delete something from your computer windows marks it and says ok you dont want to see this anymore and windows can now write to this space again so as long as you havent written to the space where the images were contained you should be able to recover them.

I would say maybe try making a copy and playing with the file extention, may need to tweak the file header for it to work properly again, run into this problem from time to time when using get request to rebuild websites offline.

6. nan_tucket

nan_tucket

If the files are marked for deletion, then they should not be over- written. However after deleting those files from the recycle bin, they could have been potentially overwritten. There is also a possibility that the files were fragmented to begin with and the software utility used does not recover such files. Try Adroit Photo Recovery - http://digital-assembly.com/products/adroit-photo-recovery/. NYTimes says that they handle such files http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/01/business/01novel.html Hope this helps!!

7. carolinebrown

carolinebrown

Some times due to error in the digital camera or because of the formatting, unexpected camera switching off, file system corruption, media corruption or damage, deletion of files accidentally. There are possibilities that when you view the images restored then in this condition you can use photo recovery software this will enable you to recover the images if lost. If the images are unable to be viewed then you can use photo recovery for mac software as such this enables you to resolve the problem that might be lost.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/880206

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice