1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

error'this device cannot start(code 10)'

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by milomorai, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. milomorai

milomorai Thread Starter

after i got the xp system up and running again, i still can't access my network. in the properties for the nic i get that message and when i try to set up a new network connection, windows can't find any network adapter. i have uninstalled/reinstalled the device several times, used the latest drivers for it and even switched nics with the same results. how can i get xp to start this device?

2. tuffguy

tuffguy

What was it that downed your system? After uninstalling the nic did you restart windows and let it detect it and install the drivers from there? Some system info would help.

3. dai

dai

some nics need to go in the first pci slot after the agp

4. milomorai

milomorai Thread Starter

this was on my mother's pc. she installed an embroidery program for her husqvarna sewing machine that required a usb dongle and hosed the entire system- it wouldn't boot(xp box) and went into a reboot loop on her w2k box. i had to hook up her hd to one of my pc's to run the repair install and to uninstall the program. even went into the registry to get all remnants of that program out of the system. i have done both reboot installs of the nic and uninstall/reinstall w/o rebooting.

5. milomorai

milomorai Thread Starter

i always put the nic in the first pci slot if there is enough room - learned that one the hard way.

6. dai

dai

7. milomorai

milomorai Thread Starter

yes i did plus as many of the newer ones that i could find - still no change.

8. dai

dai

is anything showing in the device manager

9. milomorai

milomorai Thread Starter

it shows that the device is loaded, no conflicts, doesn't need driver updates, just "This device cannot start (Code 10)".

10. dai

dai

11. milomorai

milomorai Thread Starter

thanks for all the suggestions but nothing worked so i broke down, formatted the hd and started from scratch. this time i am going to burn an image of the os setup to a dvd-tired of reloading everything one by one.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice