1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Errow when trying to delete a file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Smurfette, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

Why is it when I try to delete a file I get the following message? "Cannot delete bundle: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write- protected and that the file is not currently in use." I thought I better ask before trying to delete it.

Thanks, Tammy

2. rude

rude

What kind of file,check properties.Just so you know,if a file is still in use,eg:you play an audio or movie file and decide you don't want to keep it,you click delete and get:

"Cannot delete bundle: Access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write- protected and that the file is not currently in use."

This is Windows obtuse way of telling you that the file is still listed in the player"in use" and can't be deleted until you remove it.Unfortunately the only way to remove the file is to play a file you do want to keep,now the file you want to delete is no longer "in use"(WMP and some other players don't come with a built in "delete player history" option )

Another example:You download a program and install it on your system and it won't fully uninstall.You are left with a file you can't delete(the dreaded "in use" message)
    The first thing you need to do is check the Task Manager to see if there is a Process running that is accociated with your undeletable file,end the process and the file will delete.On occasion the offending process doesn't want to end.This is when you get aggressive,you go to Administrative Tools/Services,disable and stop the associated service, and voila,your file is now bin filler.

Finally, some files are "Write-Protected" and are the property of the Administrator account and can't be deleted by anyone without full administrative access

3. Smurfette

Smurfette Thread Starter

TYVM for all your help Rude!!

Tammy

4. rude

rude

You are welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice