1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Erunt restore from command line

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by MPeg3, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

My 32 bit Vista laptop suddenly won't boot into Windows. It comes to a blue screen and then offers to repair the startup, but can't. Then I get a window offering options, one of them being System Restore. Then it tells me there are no restore points. Another option is a command prompt. I have Erunt on the laptop and have it set to do automatic backups. I would like to try to restore the registry and see if it can fix it, but don't know if I can do this from a command prompt when Windows isn't running. Would appreciate any suggestions. I also have a Linux live disk if that would be of any use to me in fixing this.

If I can restore from a command prompt, (I know how to maneuver to the files I am looking for) can you tell me, would I just go to the files and type in the name of the backup file I want to use and hit enter or do I need something else?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Peg

2. stantley

stantley

It's worth a try. Go to C:\WINDOWS\ERDNT\1-1-2010 (whatever date you have) then type in ERDNT.exe that should restore the registry as of that date.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

I've run erdnt from the UBCD4Win and it restored the registry of the offline system (the one where erdnt was located) unlike other programs that only work on the system you are logged into. I doubt that the supporting files would be present in the recovery environment, but as stantley says, give it a try. If it tries to restore the registry on the CD, you'll know pretty fast. :D

(Hint: I keep my ERUNT backups in a root folder, C:\ERUNT, so they are easy to access from a command line or find when offline.)

4. MPeg3

MPeg3 Thread Starter

I gave it my best effort. Wound up creating the UBCD4Win CD and was able to get into my files, but restoring the registery didn't fix it.

Thanks for the input.
    Peg

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/899593