1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ESATA or USB 2.0

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kalabula, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kalabula

kalabula Thread Starter

I am in need of a few 500gb drives and was wondering if there is a massive advantage to ESATA as opposed to USB 2.0.

I hope this doesn't sound dumb as I am not very tech savvy.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The one advantage eSATA has is speed, probably about three times as fast a transfer rate as USB 2.0. OTOH, USB 2.0 has the advantage that you can carry your disk to almost any computer on the planet and access the data.

You make the call. :)

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    There are some enclosures that offer both eSATA and USB 2.0 connectivity, then you can have the advantages of both.

4. JohnWill

And there's that option. :D

5. kalabula

kalabula Thread Starter

This is the drive that I was looking at. Unfortunatley It is not listed as being compatible with Vista. But, If I where to buy this and transfered files to it wth my computer using SATA, could I then take it to my moms computer and hook it up via USB 2.0 for data transfer?

Also Im not sure if my current computer already has SATA ports. What do they look like? And will that port that comes with the drive that I was looking at get me going if I don't find any SATA ports on my current computer.

Also that drive is not listed to work with Vista so I am worried about t

Sorry for all the questions.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Not many computers come with eSATA ports, and if they are older SATA 1.5GB/s ports then they might not support Hot Swapping. Some drives do come with a eSATA bracket/cable that connects to an internal SATA connector as the one you link to does. What computer or motherboard do you have?

I wouldn't worry about it not be listed as Vista compatible, these are fairly plug and play and generally work fine on Windows ME and newer without issue or loading any drivers.

7. JohnWill

Vista compatibility isn't an issue here, it'll work fine.

Yes, if you put them on with eSATA, you can take them off with USB 2.0. :)

Not many computers actually have eSATA ports yet, but if you buy one with both capabilities, it's not a real problem. Obviously, to enjoy the benefits of the eSATA connection, you'll need to have such a connection on your computer! :D

8. kalabula

kalabula Thread Starter

Well I think I'll try getting a few of these drives and see wat happens. I was having some problems with the WD drives that I had before and Office Depot returned them no questions asked. So my dilema now is: I want to purchase the new drives from Office Depot since they where so easy to deal with on the returns but they do not have any drives that I am particulary interetsed in.

9. JohnWill

Actually, I'd get one of them and test it, makes the returns easier if you don't like it. :D

10. kalabula

kalabula Thread Starter

Thats a good idea. Theres so many though.

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
  12. kalabula

kalabula Thread Starter

I tried to read through that but im not not lerate with computer terminlogy and the good majority of those thread, and some of this one, are lost to me.

I just need someone to say "buy this and this and hook it up you won't be dissapointed"

13. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Do you feel capable of installing and removing SATA hard drives ???

Then I'd suggest getting a eSATA/USB enclosure ... and putting a SATA hard drive in it.
    You can shop around and find a good one at a good price.

I have this USB/eSATA enclosure and I like it ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817424001
    It comes with an eSATA adapter/bracket for your SATA computer...
    If you want to hook it up eSATA ... otherwise use the USB

Just plug a SATA HD in the enclosure and you're ready to go ... using the eSATA or the USB input/outputs.
    Like one of these SATA 500gig Hard drives ...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...33+1035407760+103530113+1035307886&name=500GB

But ... This is a Build Your Own concept.

Attached Files:

14. kalabula

kalabula Thread Starter

I think I could handle building that myself if you could give me a few pointers. If I where to follow the links you posted would these 2 items be enough to build a complete 500gb sata hardrive, or would I need the power cable w/transformer and the sata card for the back of my computer seperately? Also will this setup be compatable with Vista? I want two 500gb drives, they do make sata cards that I can add to my computer that have two ports on them right?

Sorry for all the questions but you seem like you don't mind helping out. Thanks for everything so far.

15. kalabula

kalabula Thread Starter

I just noticed thats a western digital. I just returned a few of those beacuse I was having a hell of a time transfering data (actually I just COULDNT).

Im not certain if it was a problem with the drives, but I have a Acomdata 300gb that I've never had problems with.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice