Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Esc Key, F3, F5, F6, F7, F9, F10, F11 not responding

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Goddess-Bastet 
#1 ·
I am currently having an issue of some keys in my keyboard specifically these keys :( Escape Key, F3, F5, F6, F7, F9, F10, F11,) I actually don't use these keys that often aside from the "esc" key since it's one of my method exiting some apps or a full screened video and stuff, but last night went wrong when I noticed that my esc key is not responding, later I found out that some of my f keys are also not responding, I searched this up in google and found a similar problem with another person, and he is also experiencing unresponsive with the same keys I mentioned, Unfortunately he hadn't found a solution yet, but here's the things I did which haven't showed any progress yet.
(PS: I'm using an ACER Laptop by the way)

- Did not download or install any application that could cause malware
- Checked my keyboard if something was stuck in them
- Checked their responsiveness on a keyboard checker online
- Checked bios setup
- Rebooted my PC
- Tried pressing Fn + F11(On screen keyboard)

But still none to avail, I hope someone could help me regarding with this issue

See less See more
#2 ·
Which version/build of Windows are you running?
Is the problem with the laptop’s keyboard or external?
If external I s it a wireless keyboard or wired?
If wireless are the batteries full charged?
Have you installed the June cumulative update? This is causing all sorts of problems for users.
Are all drivers up to date?
Have you checked for any BIOS update?
Do these keys work in safe mode &/or the BIOS?

• Love
Reactions: ivancharles
#3 ·
Which version/build of Windows are you running?
Is the problem with the laptop's keyboard or external?
If external I s it a wireless keyboard or wired?
If wireless are the batteries full charged?
Have you installed the June cumulative update? This is causing all sorts of problems for users.
Are all drivers up to date?
Have you checked for any BIOS update?
Do these keys work in safe mode &/or the BIOS?
Thank you for noticing my thread good sir, I apologize for the late reply, I was trying out the suggestions you made, I just updated my Windows to Version 21H1, Windows 10 pro, and currently using the laptop's keyboard, and still no response from the keys I mentioned before, I also tried to check them in Safe mode, and same results.
Is there anything I can do? aside from buying a new laptop?

#4 ·
Worst case, you could replace the keyboard, if it comes down to that.

Did you try an external keyboard? Does the <Esc> key work while you are in BIOS? I'm sure there must be an instance where you'd use it to back out of a menu option, or something.

• Love
Reactions: ivancharles
#5 ·
I haven't tried using an external keyboard yet, and even in BIOS, especially the f5 and f6 which these keys are used for changing the values in the bios setup is not responding, I really don't understand if the problem is within the cables or something because it's too much of a coincidence when the same guy as I found in google have the same problem as me with the same keys, we must've probably pressed a key combination or something not sure, that locked these keys? also I already did a system restore pointing 2 days before the problem showed up, Is it possible or guaranteed to resolve the issue if I hard reset my laptop like completely wipe it out?

#7 ·
I suspect the hardware has failed or is failing.
You could use an external keyboard or even have the inbuilt keyboard replaced.
If you clean install Windows you may still be stuck with non working F keys & not be able to proceed.
If you have Windows installation media on USB try booting the laptop with it as this will use one of the F keys - usually F12, F7, F8, click the specific key rapidly as soon as you see the manufacturer’s logo onscreen. If this doesn’t work then those keys are faulty. If the Fn key + an F key also doesn’t work then I’d say it’s conclusive.

What’s the make & model of the laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.