1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ESET NOD32 or ESET Smart Security?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by LilScoop, Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LilScoop

LilScoop Thread Starter

Does the Anti Thief System, Firewall and Anti-Spam make Smart Security a better way to go than the base NOD32? Alternatively, are there free Firewall and Anti-Spam programs one can add to their computer if purchasing NOD32? I don't have a laptop so would the Anti Thief component of the Smart Security really be of much use?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

I use ESET NOD32 along with Comodo Firewall, and rely on Gmail's spam filter. Works great so far.

3. LilScoop

LilScoop Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the suggestion.

After I posted I discovered Frys has NOD32 V6 on sale for $29 for 3 PCs. They also have V5 available for 1 OR 3 PCs for $19. They are also offering Smart Security V5 1 PC for $ 24.99 or V5 3 PCs for $ 34.99.

Two questions: Given these deeply discounted prices and the fact that there is only a few dollars difference between these products, (although only the V5 version of Smart is offered at a discounted price) thoughts on going with NOD32 over Smart Security?

Also, although ESET offers a free upgrade, I have read about problems people encounter when trying to install the latest version of ESET over a previously installed version, even after uninstalling the earlier version, so I'm a little leery of purchasing a V5 version of either product over just buying V6. I don't currently have ESET on my computer so if I purchase V6, it would be just a straight install. Any advice on purchasing the V5 version and then doing a free upgrade to V6 versus paying a little bit more upfront and just going for the straight install of V6?

Thanks so much!

4. LilScoop

LilScoop Thread Starter

Update: Didn't get a reply to this post so I called ESET. For those interested in what I found out, they do offer free upgrades. If you buy an earlier version and have never installed ESET on your computer, you don't need to install the earlier version, then uninstall and upgrade to the latest version, but instead you just activate your general license for the previous version you just purchased, then go to ESET's website and download the latest version. (Of course, you still need to uninstall any other antivirus software you may have on your computer before downloading the latest version of ESET or you'll have two antivirus programs on your computer which you don't want to have.)

As far as NOD32 versus Smart Security, the Anti-Thief component in Smart is directed towards laptops (which I don't use) and you don't need a firewall if you are using a router, as routers have built in firewall. Also, if you are using wireless products (computers/printers) their firewall can conflict. To use their spam feature in Smart, you need to be using Firefox or Microsoft Outlook. Otherwise it won't work.

So, for me NOD32 V5 3 PC's for $19.99 is the way to go! I'm off to pick up my order!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!