Essential Programs to Use on Windows 10

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JustinRampage

I just formatted my SSD and installed a fresh, new copy of Windows 10 Pro. I was curious what programs I should have to keep it running smooth. I'm using Windows Defender (free and seems to keep me virus free). I have used CCleaner in the past, but have been told that it can potentially goof up essential Windows files and such. I also used to keep around Malwarebytes for scanning the PC every once in a while, just to make sure I was bug free. Recommendations on some safe, useful tools to keep around on the Windows 10 system would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I think that good behavior is far more essential than installing a specific piece of sotware. Windows Defender + good hygeine should be sufficient.

Johnny b

John
Browser security is important. That's the main conduit to and from your computer and the Internet.

I like Firefox, but what ever browser used, extensions like ad blockers, no script and ghostery are good to consider.
I also run a Malwarebytes browser extension in Firefox. It's also available for Chrome as I remember.

Updating and configuring a browser along with the OS is a good practice.

crjdriver

CCleaner is fine to use however DO NOT use the registry cleaner part; just let it clean up junk files. Reg cleaners are not recommended here and very often do more harm than good.
You do not really need anything else. Win10 does a fine job of running TRIM or optimizing ssd drives so no need for that. The built in windows defender does a decent job.

JustinRampage

I appreciate the help, everyone! I will steer clear of the registry cleaning portion of CCleaner. I have been using Chrome for years. It can be a memory hog at times, but that is due to me being a tab freak (I jump into and browse around through too many rabbit holes).

I mainly use the PC to unwind with some Diablo 3, photo editing, and checking email.

Is there something to check to make sure that I have the correct drivers installed for all of my hardware?

managed

Allan
Check the hardware by running Device Manager, if there are no 'Unknown Device' entries or ! or ? characters showing in there you already have the correct drivers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online