1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ethernet adapter but no ethernet card?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stephen820, May 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. stephen820

stephen820 Thread Starter

Control panel lists "HP EN1207D-TX PCI fast ethernet adaptor" installed but my machine has no ethernet card--only a phone modem card (working fine). I need ethernet for DSL. I thought "adaptor" meant "card." What's up? Thanks.

2. ridgerunner

ridgerunner

It is probably on the motherboard. check next to you usb jacks on the back of the computer and see if there is one that is larger than the usb. if so it will it.

3. rockinmale

rockinmale

I agree as well. It has a built in ethernet on the motherboard. It should be on the back panel next to the sound jacks. It looks like a phone line jack, but its a bit bigger than a RJ11(telephone connector). That's where you plug in your RJ45 (CAT 5) cable.

4. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    Stephen820,
    I'll post my 2 bits here also.
    You've got a Hewlett Packard. What model?? I've got a old Pavilion 6630. It also had the same ethernet listed in network properties, along with netbeui and tcp/ip for the ethernet adapter. But, lo and behold, there is no nic card in the machine. (except the one that I put in) I've never even taken the time to figure that one out, but it's there.
    And no, there is nothing hiding on the board, either. Go figure.
    JustMe2

5. stephen820

stephen820 Thread Starter

Thanks all. JustMe2 is right: there really is no ethernet jack on my machine. And, kudos to HP's customer support for a quick response, HP confirms that my machine shipped without one.

HP's tech explains: "Sometimes, Windows operating system will install a standard network card by installing the drivers for the virtual card that is not present." This is a little confusing but I'm guessing it means: Windows 98se's default installation at HP assumed a network-ready machine so it automatically installed the drivers for the card that would have been on that machine if it had shipped with one.

Stephen

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/135914

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice