1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Adapter Help!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by twisted_edge098, Apr 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. twisted_edge098

twisted_edge098 Thread Starter

Im on a semi odl computer running windows Me and wanted to connect my xbox 360 so i can play in my room. This computer is connected to the internet wirelessly from my other computer in my living room. I bought a Dynex Fast Ethernet Adapter and installed the drivers and the card and everything. I went to the device manager and the status says its working fine. The problem is it wont connect to the internet. I entered the appropiate IP address and gateway and DNS and everything but it wont work and idk y. Can anyone help?

2. twisted_edge098

3. twisted_edge098

Maybe this will help, it tells me to go to control panel>network and add it but doesnt say wat to add. Then it tells me to enter IP and DNS and the Gateway which i did but still isnt working! Driving me nuts.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After you installed the new ethernet card you used a cable to connect it to something, right? To what did you connect it?

5. twisted_edge098

well i want to connect my xbox 360 to it but i havent even gotten that far yet. the manual says type winipcfg in "run" to see if its working so when i do it says ip 0.0.0.0 and subnet mask 0.0.0.0 even after i enter a ip and everything

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

So, what DID you connect it to if you "haven't even gotten that far"? It obviously won't do anything intelligent laying on the floor!

You also need to configure ICS on that computer if you expect it to allow connection to the XBOX. Finally, from all I see here, the XBOX is somewhat "iffy" running through ICS, I'd consider running a wire direct from the router.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When any adapter is connected to nothing but thin air I would expect an IP of 0.0.0.0 with a matching mask.

8. JohnWill

Well, probably 169.254.x.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 in reality. 0.0.0.0 usually indicates a problem with either the NIC, the drivers, or the TCP/IP stack.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I concede; when no cable is connected, or the other end of the cable is not connected, I just get "media disconnected" with no IP given.

10. twisted_edge098

i have the adapter installed in a PCI slot on my motherboard, its just when i check to see if its connected to the internet the ip reads the 0.0.0.0 and idk how to fix it. like i said the device manager recognizes it and says its fine. and this computer is connected to the internet wirelessly so the router is in another room entirely.

11. twisted_edge098

12. JohnWill

What is the other end of the cable connected to?

13. twisted_edge098

there is no cable in it yet, i have put it in my xbox but it didnt work

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Where do you see the IP of 0.0.0.0--in the ipconfig /all?

15. twisted_edge098

ya i go to start>run>winipconfig and it shows my wireless card and ethernet adapter. the wireless card has the ip and gateway and mask all filled in but not the ethernet adapter.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/562458

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice