1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Adapter Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rfzbaker, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

I recently had to reformat my PC because I was getting a blue screen which said windows would not start properly, I tried repairing my windows but that did not work either. I use Verizon DSL and I've never had an issue installing it when I first got it. I can't get online unless I have the software of verizon's installed, but I can't install the software because when I go to "Install my Modem" it can not connect to my Ethernet Adapter. It says that I do not have an "Ethernet Adapter". I'm not positive, but I think an Ethernet Adapter is the same as an Ethernet card, please tell me if I'm wrong.

I'm assuming when I had to improperly shut my computer down I may have fried something (such as my ethernet card ) and that I need to purchase a new one. I've gone through all of the troubleshooting issues and none of them resolved my problem. I don't feel like calling on July 4th because I have family over, and I figured I'd get better help here anyway.

I'm an avid gamer, and a decent Ethernet Card would be nice (If that's even my problem!?)

1) Do you think it's my card?
    2) If I get a new card, what kind of card should I get?

Thanks to everyone in advance, your help is greatly appreciated.

2. norton850

norton850

After the reformat it's necessary to reinstall the chipset drivers. Did you do that? Do you know if you have a separate adapter or is it part of the MotherBoard.?Go into Device Manager. What do you have there with a question mark?

3. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

I don't recall reinstalling chipset drivers. Will that be on the driver's and utilities disc? I don't know if it's seperate or a part of the mobo. I can't find device manager :mad: Mind helping me with that? SOrry.

I'm on a downstairs computer, mine is upstairs. I'm sure you knew that though

4. norton850

norton850

Device Manager: Couple of different ways to open it.
    Click the Start button then Control Panel. Open System. Click on Hardware and then Device Manager.

What do you have for a system? Yes it's probably on the drivers disc.

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

To Find Device Mgr>__click On My Computer__view System Info_hardware_device Manager>_network Adaptors>what Do You See?

6. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

If I install my drivers disc do you think my internet will work.

I have a Dell XPS Generation 4. Windows XP. 1 GiG Ram. nVidia 6800. Sb Audigy 2ZS. Not sure about mobo, it's a dell and horrible.

7. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

Device Manager:
    Network Adapters
    (YELLOW ?)Other Devices
    Ethernet Controller
    Multimedia Audio Controller
    PCI Input Device
    Video Controller (VGA Compat)

Under Network Adapters
    1394 Net Adapter
    1394 Net Adapter #2

8. norton850

norton850

Yes you need to install the drivers from that disc. Looks like you don't have drivers for sound, your video card, modem, and network adapter.

9. frankjohn

frankjohn

If You Re Install Your Driver For Your Ethernet Card Go Back After Words To Device Mgr And Check To See If It Shows

10. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

Ill do it when I get a chance. I was in such a rush that I did not even consider it. Ill try it when the family is done with fireworks. Ill let you know how it goes shortly. Thank you very much for your help.

11. norton850

norton850

Good luck.

12. rfzbaker

rfzbaker Thread Starter

Everything is up. Thank you.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice