1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ntlgnce, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ntlgnce

ntlgnce Thread Starter

Hey all, I have a NetGear Fa311 Ethernet Adapter, (new to me) (Was still in box unopened) I just installed Windows XP Pro, SP2.

I hace a cable modem, 3 meg, Connected to a Belkin wireless router, then a RJ-45 cable connecting to the NetGear Adapter.

The card seems to have installed, I have also found the CD and updated the drivers. I then went through the network connections, and set up a network connection for a cable connection thats always on No password needed. I had it notify me if conneceted or not connected.

It says that its connected, however I cant access the internet? I threw on my belkin wireless adapter, and connected no problems, The rj-45 cable works with a different network card. But for some reason it does not for this card?

Any Ideas?

It does give me IP addressess.
    Address type
    Assigned by DHPC
    Ipaddress 192.168.2.5
    Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.2.1

Network connection details,
    Physical Address 00-09-5b-1e-70-5b
    DHCP server 192.168.2.1
    DNS servers

There is nothing listed under the WINS Server

My VIA chipset is, KT133A
    Southbridge vt82c686

If my VIA chipset is effected by a conflict, Is there a work around? As the card does not work in my other PC. Its the exact same thing??

Please only post if you know for sure whats going on. As a post with a reply will cause those who know what there doing to skip over the post..

Thanks in advance,
    Enjoy,
    Peace!
    Thomas' 73

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Cables come in two flavours, straight through (patch) or cross-over.
    Some network adapters can sense the crossed polarity and self correct, many cannot.

Perhaps this is the reason? Either it is seeing a crossover and doesn't like it or it is seeing a straight through and wants a crossover?

3. ntlgnce

ntlgnce Thread Starter

Thanks man I never thought of that,, I will get out my wire cutters, and make it a cross over and then repost.. .

4. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

you don't need a cross over with cable.

seems to have installed isn't the same as installed.

cable needs to have the ip addresses obtained automatically in tcp/ip properties, same for the router.

i'm not familiar with belkin products but have used both wired/wireless linksys routers and you have to have in internet connection from the modem to the adapter, then the cable from the modem into the wan/lan/internet port of the router and 1, 2, 3, 4 to the various machines.

after the basic internet connection thru the modem, linksys has an ez to use setup utility. not sure if belkin does it the same wasy.

5. ntlgnce

ntlgnce Thread Starter

The belkin is the same way. Its basicly plug and play, I have a second PC right next to it, and can just unplug the JR-45 cable and plug it into the other nic card and I am online.. I was wondering if this card is just for networking or something?? as it says its connected but all my windows says page can not be displaed. ( I put my wireless usb adapter on the thing just to make sure its not something with the windows install.) and that works great fine?? So I know its something with this card, perhaps it is that crossover cable, Do some Nic cards need a crossover cable?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/565543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice