1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet and Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rasghar, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rasghar

rasghar Thread Starter

Hi,

I've been searching around for a long time for an answer for this question but I cannot find a full relevant answer so please do bear with me.

I am university student and I get my internet via an ethernet cable from a socket in the wall.
    I want to install a wireless router to get wireless for all my devices.

Can I plug the ethernet cable directly into any router and get an internet connection like that ?
    Do I need a specific router? If so can you please point me in the right direction?

Also, will an Wireless Access Point do the job?

If you need anymore information, please do ask.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

2. prunejuice

prunejuice

I would suspect your campus IT uses a strict "One MAC address per hardwire connection/student)".

What is your school's policy on this?

3. rasghar

rasghar Thread Starter

I have read through the tenancy agreement and I cannot find anything that relates directly to the use of internet or anything to do with routers etc.

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

I would borrow a standard wireless router and plug it in. If it give you the option in the router, I would clone the MAC address from your PC. All things being equal, you should be good to go.

5. rasghar

rasghar Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice