1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet and Wireless Issues Linksys Router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Caleb1, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Caleb1

Caleb1 Thread Starter

Hello,

Thank you very much for your consideration of my problem. I reviewed a couple different searches, but I could no find no information to solve my current problem.

I am running Windows XP Home edition on a Compaq Presario. I have high-speed cable internet through Road Runner, which works very well on my desktop computer. Because of my laptop, I wanted to set up a wireless network, so I purchased a Linksys WRT54GS. For a time, the router allowed my desktop to work on a LAN connection, although the laptop couldn't seem to use the wireless router. The laptop was a budget Toshiba Satellite L35, so I thought maybe the laptop was the problem, but since I have successfully picked up wireless in a few different places outside the home with the laptop.

After about a month, the LAN connection stopped working with the desktop. I believe this occurred after the cable company replaced my modem with a new one. Currently, I have the internet running from the cable modem directly to the desktop. When I plug the desktop into the router by ethernet cord, the power light is solid as is the WLAN light, and the "1" light and the internet light. However, my computer is unable to connect to the internet ("Server not found"). Because of this I can't access the router settings page online, nor can I access wireless from my laptop. Finally, the set-up disk was sadly broken.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. avisitor

avisitor

Wait a minute.... you can't access the router's setup page (http://192.168.1.1)?

You should have it setup like this:

Ethernet cable from Router's Internet Port to Ethernet Port on the Modem.

Ethernet cable from another port on the router (1-4) to the desktop.

Do Start -> Run and in the box type cmd.

In the command prompt type:

Code:
     ipconfig /all > "C:/Documents and Settings/%username%/Desktop/ipconfig.txt" 
    Upload the text of the ipconfig.txt file that's on your desktop.

3. pedroguy

pedroguy

Welcome to TSG:
    Also make and model of modem,please.

4. Caleb1

Caleb1 Thread Starter

I apologize. I can access the router set-up page; however, I can not access the internet (I figured those two were related.) on my desktop or my laptop. On my desktop, I see "Internet Connection" under "Internet Gateway" when viewing my "Network Connections." It says "Disabled" but if I right click and click "Enable" it just says "Connection failed!" Meanwhile, my laptop sees the network, right now simply called "linksys" and believes it has a high level of bars, yet my laptop can get no internet from it.

Here is the ipconfig text when I have the ethernet cable running from my router to my computer, with another running between my router and modem:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-dcvihcq6ca

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN Network Driver

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-8A-00-00-11

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.101.152

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : carolina.rr.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VM Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-A5-F1-CB-B1

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.25.5.150

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, August 15, 2008 2:23:31 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 16, 2008 2:23:31 PM

Also, in answer to the other question about the modem.

Make: Arris
    Model: TM502G

5. pedroguy

pedroguy

6. ShadowProwler420

ShadowProwler420

Caleb1....

That 169.254.X.X IP address you have is an APIPA address, and you will need to get rid of it in order to get any working internet connection. These addresses are a pain to get rid of (they are not very easily released via the "ipconfig /release" command or even rebooting the computer). The only sure-fire way to release the address is by disconnecting the coaxial cable from your modem and pulling the power on it to flush it out. After about 20-30 seconds, you can go ahead and reconnect the coax and power plug, then check your IP info (via the "ipconfig /all" command) again. That 'should' resolve your non-functioning internet connection issue.

As for your laptop, what operating system are you running on it?

Another thing that could be blocking your wireless connection is that the router may not be broadcasting your SSID, thus not allowing your laptop to see your wireless network.

7. avisitor

avisitor

No, the APIPA address is on the WLAN card. Usually that's caused by something being wrong with the encryption key.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/740359

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice