Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

ethernet and wireless together

770 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
should I enable the wireless when I want to use the ethernet, my wireless works fine, but when I try to connect with ethernet, either no connection or connection drops after a short time, It is a dell desktop with windows xp,with netgear switch, and comcast modem,with mac airport, I need to get my ethernet high speed working that I pay for. PLEASE someone help

#2 ·
If I am going to use ethernet for an extended time I remove an external wireless adapter or switch an integrated wireless off. But that's to extend the life of the unused component and to save the battery if on battery. If you are using a PCI wireless card with the desktop then disabling it is probably the best you can do. But that is not going to impact your ethernet usage, so it is really your choice.

Please show the following for when you have an ethernet connection and for when it has dropped ...

Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

#3 ·
Thanks for your help, but I worked on it and found that if I reset the modem and go directly from modem to computer, the ethernet works fine. Now what steps do I take to use the belkin wireless router, to set up for 2 desk top computers, and still use the mac airport wireless,not at the same time, I know,thanks again

#4 ·
Unplug the modem and router. Connect the modem to the router's WAN (Modem, Internet) port. Plug in modem. Plug in router. Connect computers and other devices to the router by ethernet and/or wireless. Configure the wireless as desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.