1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet broadband router and/or wireless router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wildcatmom, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wildcatmom

wildcatmom Thread Starter

My question is regarding our needs for a router/routers.

Our current setup consists of an ethernet broadband router (where everything plugs in) in the "main box" that holds all of the wiring that then goes throughout the house into the bedrooms/den/kitchen desk via cat 5 wiring.

At each of those room locations you can then plug into the wall (cat5) for internet/phone/etc. We have many items that use wifi (iphone, tablets, roku and laptops) so we have plugged a wireless router into the cat 5 jack in the den, then plugged the desktop computer in that room into the wireless router. The rest of the items are used wirelessly throughout the house.

Well our broadband router up in the "main box" we think is going bad (guess is its 8 yrs old). Our internet lately has been patchy, slow and needing to be reset often. Upon speaking with our ISP, they say the connection to the dish on the deck from their tower on the neighboring hillside is "excellent", so we are thinking it must be the router installed when the home was built.

My husband logs on to his work computer from home with gotomypc.com and works on (enormous) spreadsheets, so we need speeds to be fast to keep his sanity. :) Our current service is 4mbps.

Now my questions finally, 1) do we need the 2 routers i.e. the broadband router in the "main box" with a wireless router in the den or can we do everything we need with one router in the "main box"? The "main box" is upstairs in a closet behind a fuse box type cupboard. 2) what brand of router(s) are recommended to take on the task of our home? Thanks in advance!!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In a closet is not a good place for a wireless router and behind a fuse box type cupboard is not a good place for a wireless router. You already have a wireless router so you can try it there to see how much Wi-Fi coverage it gives you. My thinking is that the only way a wireless router in that location will do you much good is if you can replace the antenna with one that will be outside the closet.

3. wildcatmom

First thank you for your reply, I really appreciate your help. Would we be better off having a wired router in the box and keeping the wireless downstairs on the desk in the den (in the open and center of the house)? Or if I stick with the wireless I'll have to leave it in the closet but can set it outside of the box if that's advisable, along with an antenna.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Knowing the exact construction and placement of your walls, floors, furniture, etc., it might be possible to accurately predict Wi-Fi coverage for a wireless router in a given place. :) Otherwise, it's strictly guesswork.

Just test by placing your current router at whatever location is of interest and walk around with a laptop or smaller device and check the signal strength at places you want to use wireless. On computers the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector or Gadget is a good tool to use for checking the signal strength. The Inspector is preferred, but not available for all OSes.

5. wildcatmom

I will try that. TerryNet, you ROCK!! Thanks........:)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1037001

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice