1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Cable and Router compatibility

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jetmech76, Apr 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jetmech76

jetmech76 Thread Starter

Please excuse my inexperience first off. I'm in the process of getting a new router up and running. Replacing a D Link WBR-1310 with a ZyXEL VSG1432 which is supposed to also have an integrated modem. So I'm having some problems getting the new set-up running. I'm sure that it's me not having things hooked up correctly since I'm losing two separate peices in lieu of one bigger piece. The main thing that has me concerned now is that the Cat 5e cables that were pre-installed in my house (which run through the walls to all the bedrooms plus living room) will not "lock" into place in the routers Ethernet ports. They will slide in so far, but won't lock and the corresponding lights on the router stay dark. Are the connectors on Cat5 cables different from Ethernet cables? Or is that router designed for Cat6 cables and are they different? Any insight would be appreciated.

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

They are cat5 which should be the same as Ethernet.
    Are you pushing the cables in far enough and you may need to depress the 'tab' on the cables as they can be tight.
    Also they may be upside down compared to the old ones.

3. jetmech76

jetmech76 Thread Starter

Thanks Dave. I figured the connectors were the same between the different cables. I tried all that you said, and still nothing. My neighbor who coincidentally works for the local phone company which is also my ISP said he believes that when they ran the wiring, they crimped on connectors that were slightly different than standard connectors. He is going to come over at some point and install new connectors on the cables. Hopefully that is all that is needed.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

They will remain dark, even if correctly wired, unless there is a device at the other end (obviously?).
    I take it you have tried the router with a local fly lead directly into you computer?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice