Ethernet cable help!

Brenton4

Hi, I’m confused about Ethernet. I wanted to buy a cable and plug because I have bad WiFi where I work. I already have 1, I need another for a different computer. Can I buy another cable+plug and use it without another buying one to connect to my router? Thanks

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
I've read this several times and I'm still confused. Are you saying you work from home and your Wifi signal there isn't good? So you have one Ethernet cable to connect to your router already, but you want to buy another one to connect another computer to the router?

Couriant

James
Well if it's for where you work, you should be asking your IT person for the cable.

But I am not sure what you mean by plug. If you mean a powerline plug, then all you need is a cable and the powerline plug... but if I wrong, can you please confirm what you mean?

Brenton4

I've read this several times and I'm still confused. Are you saying you work from home and your Wifi signal there isn't good? So you have one Ethernet cable to connect to your router already, but you want to buy another one to connect another computer to the router?
So yes I work from home and my wife isn’t good in that room. I have an Ethernet connection to my first computer. I have another one I need to connect via Ethernet, so can I just buy one plug and cable to connect from mains to my computer, or do I need to connect another one to the router (in a different room), and if possible could you recommend an Ethernet plug? I hope that’s clearer, thank you so much!

Brenton4

Well if it's for where you work, you should be asking your IT person for the cable.

But I am not sure what you mean by plug. If you mean a powerline plug, then all you need is a cable and the powerline plug... but if I wrong, can you please confirm what you mean?
At the moment I work from home, so I need to sort out my own internet connection. By plug I mean from Ethernet cable to the mains, so a wall plug, is it called a powerline? To clarify, I already have 1 connection, but need another, so what do I have to buy to get that working? Thanks a lot!

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Do I need to connect one of these to my router, as I already have 1 like this connected to my router (a different brand though)? Thanks again!!
If you have one connected to your router already, I would recommend looking to see if you can purchase an additional adapter for your setup of the same make & model.

Brenton4

If you have one connected to your router already, I would recommend looking to see if you can purchase an additional adapter for your setup of the same make & model.
From my research, they don’t make them anymore, so would a new one connect to it or would I have to connect a new one to the router?

Couriant

James
Typically you would want to make sure you have the same brand/model for compatibility. I haven't personally used powerline adapters so i cannot say if interchanging powerline devices would work.

plodr

Liz
I use powerline adapters. They are purchased in pairs. Same model. (I bought three just on the off chance one would go bad but I can also use all three with 2 at different locations in our home).
One gets plugged into the wall and connects to a port on your router by ethernet.
The other gets plugged in to a wall switch close to where you want to work. You also run an ethernet cable from it to that 2nd computer.
The two adapters must be connected to the same side of the electric panel.

Open your breaker box and see if the powerline adapter near the router is on an odd or even breaker. The wall plug for the 2nd powerline adapter must be odd, if the first one is odd and ven if the first one is even.

managed

Allan
You can usually mix different brands, to be sure use the search tool here :- https://weakwifisolutions.com/can-you-mix-powerline-adapters/

Take note of what Liz said in the previous post about the wiring being on the same same side of the electric panel.

Here in the UK I have 2 powerline adapters downstairs, one of which is connected to the router/modem, and 1 upstairs. One of the downstairs ones is a different brand than the other 2 but they all work well together.

Last edited:

Brenton4

Thanks guys, turns out my current connection is too old to work with new ones. :( Anyone know an Ethernet splitter so I can use 2 computers at the same time from one power line plug? Thanks

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online