1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Cable not being Read

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Conpow, Apr 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Conpow

Conpow Thread Starter

I have a ethernet cable connected form my Linksys wireless router to my xbox 360 so i can play live but whenever i plug it into the back of the xbox it doesn't read teh cable, it saus its not there. Also when i trided to put it into my Linksys WRT54GC router it would not read it either.
    ** The wite could be damaged but im not sure because it goes through cieling and wall and i cannot see all of it.

ANy hellp greatly appreciated.

2. willdawiz

willdawiz

It sounds like your cable is busted. What I would advise you to do is test the cable by plugging a computer into it and seeing if it connects to the router. Other things might be if it is in the wrong port on the xbox, which probably isn't the case, or if it is in the internet port of the router, which is all too common. To tell if it is in the right router port, check if another computer can connect to the internet from the router.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

4. Conpow

Conpow Thread Starter

it worked, i got perfect connection on my sbox but oneday my dad moved the wire a bit and it stopped working so my first thought is that it is busted but i cant see where itwould be busted.

5. JohnWill

Most likely right at the connector. You may have to look closely, or plug it in and wiggle the wire to see if it suddenly connects.

6. Conpow

Conpow Thread Starter

well when i put it in my sisters laptop it reads it and she gets a good connection but now it doesn't read it in my xbox it just says i dont have an active connection

7. JohnWill

Sounds like an intermittent cable to me.

8. Thalaric

Thalaric

Try a differant cable... does it work?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since it's also possible that there is a problem with the Xbox, do as Thalaric suggested. You can carry the router or the Xbox to get them near enough to each other to use another cable.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/701101

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice