1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet cable plugged in but pc not finding it

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by y2owen, Jun 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. y2owen

y2owen Thread Starter

Hi there, i recently reinstalled windows xp on my pc, and now when i plug my ethernet cable into the port it doesnt do anything, its not picking it up or anything, if i remove the cable it doesnt say its been disconnected, im not sure what id have too do too get it working, any help would be greatly appreciated

2. Jason08

Jason08

Does the connection show up in Network Connections?

3. Kitch

Kitch

Did you install the driver for the network adapter?
    Is the adapter recognised in Device Manager?

4. y2owen

y2owen Thread Starter

no it doesnt,, ive tried everything i can think of :(

5. y2owen

y2owen Thread Starter

no i didnt have a network adapter driver or anything too install and its not in the device manager

6. itavenger

itavenger

Since it's not in the device manager, is it possible that the screw holding the network card in place is loose and the card slightly slipped out of the expansion slot ? If it's an onboard adapter, is is disabled in the bios ?

7. y2owen

y2owen Thread Starter

yes its enabled in the bios, and im not sure about the weather its loose in the expansion slot, could that be a cause of problem ?

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

Loose connection could certainly cause this.
    Generally,as addressed above.loss of an adapter after a re-install of the OS,many times is a driver issue.
    Once you have found the adapter card and made sure it seems secure,I might go to the pc manufacture's web site and download the chipset driver and any network adapter drivers.
    Install the chipset driver first and then the network adapter driver if available,next.
    And,when you plug the ethernet cable into the slot,no green light ?

9. y2owen

y2owen Thread Starter

how do i find out what chipset i need too download?

10. pedroguy

pedroguy

Easiest ways are probably:

How to determine the motherboards chipset.
    Answer:

Manual

The manual is always going to be the quickest and easiest way to determine what chipset your motherboard uses. If you have any documentation that came with your motherboard it is recommended you first refer to that documentation.

Windows Identification

If you are looking for the chipset of the motherboard and are running Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000, or Windows XP you can find the chipset information under the 'System devices' category in Device Manager. The chipset of the motherboard will likely be ALI, AMD, Intel, NVidia, VIA, or SIS. However, this information will only be seen if the chipset drivers are installed in the computer properly.

Note: If you are attempting to identify your chipset because you need to install drivers for the chipset often a motherboard and/or computer will come with a CD that has the proper chipset drivers on it. If you do not have a CD that will install these drivers you will need to continue to the next step to identify the chipset and download the chipset drivers from our motherboard page.

11. y2owen

y2owen Thread Starter

so i think its an AMD 64, im thinking i mite just leave it too gather dust in the corner been trying too fix this all day :( i installed a new copy of XP not the one i got with the pc and also the manual is missing

12. pedroguy

pedroguy

OK:Here is a link to a pretty good system environment utility which will tell you pretty much all you will ever need to know about your pc's.And,it's free..

http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html

13. y2owen

y2owen Thread Starter

14. JP_

JP_

15. itavenger

itavenger

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/835783

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice