Solved Ethernet cable shuts off when i start the PC

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bisa

Hello. I've relocated to another country. Brought my PC with me. Connected the cable to the router and fired it up. Now, the problem is, the cable stays lit until i get to the step where i have to input my password, then shuts down, and no internet connection.

I've tried these steps:
  • Accesed the router's interface - - everything seems fine.
  • Bought another router - same problem
  • Tried 3 different ethernet cables - nothing.
  • Called the internet providers - everything seems fine
  • Resetted the BIOS - nothing
  • Ran a PC diagnosis - network adapter functions properly
  • Verified if there is some hardware problem - everything is where it is supposed to be
  • Changed the ends of the cable - nothing
  • Bought another router to connect to the original one VIA wifi, then plugging the cable into this one, just in case the lan ports of the original one were broken - still nothing
I've just ran out of ideas, and i need the internet like i need water. Can somebody help me please?

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Did you start off with the same router you had before relocating?
If you are using an Ethernet cable, why do you need to enter a password? That's typically only required for wireless connections.
Does anything connect successfully to the router? Cell phone? Tablet? Another computer?

Bisa

Hello and welcome to TSG!!

Did you start off with the same router you had before relocating?
If you are using an Ethernet cable, why do you need to enter a password? That's typically only required for wireless connections.
Does anything connect successfully to the router? Cell phone? Tablet? Another computer?
I ment the PCs password, when you start it.

It's not my router. I left that one at homr.
Yes, everything works except wired connection.

TerryNet

Terry
Open a (black) Command Prompt window:
Hold the Windows logo key and press r; in the Run box type cmd and click on OK.
(In Windows 10 you may have to use some other procedure to get a Command Prompt window.)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

[Press ENTER after the command.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Once booted, can you run ipconfig /all and paste the results here?

You beat me, Terry!

TerryNet

Terry
You beat me, Terry!
When JohnWill would beat me like that back in my early days he always kindly posted, "You snooze you lose!" :)

Anyhow, Bisa, considering everything else you've tried I'm thinking that the ethernet adapter is defective. Suggest that you try a USB ethernet adapter.

Bisa

When JohnWill would beat me like that back in my early days he always kindly posted, "You snooze you lose!" :)

Anyhow, Bisa, considering everything else you've tried I'm thinking that the ethernet adapter is defective. Suggest that you try a USB ethernet adapter.
I see... Thanks

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You should check with the person who owns the router to see if they have MAC address filtering set up. As an example, I can block both wired and wireless connections in my Netgear router unless I give specific permission to a device.

TerryNet

Terry
As an example, I can block both wired and wireless connections in my Netgear router unless I give specific permission to a device.
Always worth trying everything that's easy and free, but does MAC address filtering result in a Media State of "Media disconnected"?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Yes, I've seen that with mine, Terry. The router simply won't acknowledge a connection and it looks as if it's disconnected.

Bisa

They don't really have knowledge of how to block someone. I've checked the router's settings. Nothing is blocked. I'm trying to reinstall the windows. Will get back to ya.

Bisa

Reinstalled the windows. Lights are on, but half orange. Im on the right track tho.

LE: done it. Thanks for the interest guys

If you want to reinstall windows, but youhave no internet connection, no bootable USB drive, but you have already windows 10 installed on your PC, quick search "system restore". You will have the option to reset the windows. It will reinstall on its own. Didn't knew that lol.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts