1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ethernet cable unplugged or broken

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drealynn237305, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. drealynn237305

drealynn237305 Thread Starter

Please Help!! I cant get a connection to the internet when i open up lan theres a red x when i diagnose lan it says to plug in ethernet cable ive done that but then it says it may be unplugged or broken i even changed the ethernet cable but same problem, so i figured its the driver but that says upto date however when i reinstall it says theres no network adapter installed, i havent installed anything recently and to besure it wasnt because of an microsoft update i even did a system restore please help im connected via mobile this has never happenned before

2. dlsayremn

dlsayremn

The NIC itself may have died.

Make/model of computer? Operating system?

In Device Manager, click the + to expand Network Adapters. What is listed?
    Are there any red or yellow problem indicators?

You can make screenshots to post here instead of typing everything..
    To make and save a picture of the present screen
    Hold the Alt key down and hit the PrintScreen key.
    Open Paint (under Accessories) and click Edit, Paste.
    Click file, Save and save the picture to My Pictures as a .jpeg image.
    If the computer doesn't have an internet connection, save to a USB drive.

To upload it to the forum, open the full reply (Advanced) window and use the paperclip (Manage Attachments button) at top of window. In the small window click the browse button and go to where you saved the screenshot and click on that file. Then click on the Upload button to attach the file.

3. samdrake

samdrake

I got all the error messages you mentioned. Went through the plugging and unplugging. turned out the router was mal functioning. rebooted it and gave it a few minutes to clear it's head then turned on my computer and all has been well. Those error messages are not very helpful. Lots of things can look to the adapter just the same as no cable plugged in would look.

4. drealynn237305

i have a dell 4700 windows 7, i spoke to verizon premium suppor but they said i need to reinstall the network adapter because its not there but im wondering how could it have uninstalled itself and also how do i reinstall it someone else updated my system i have no cd's i tried going to intel but dont quite know what to look for and when i tried to reinstall the network driver a message came up that said cannot install driver theres no adapter to install to please help. some link or something thx Please Hellllllpp

5. drealynn237305

another thing dont know if it helps but im still able to watch netflix through my tv that i have hooked to the same verizon modem model 7500, however cant get wifi connect on mobile phone just keep saying searching ip address and connecting but never does but i am more concerned with pc connect just not sure if this helps thx

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Still waiting for the Device Manager information requested by dlsayremn in post # 2. Namely , what's listed under Network Adapters and what, if any, warnings or errors are anywhere in Device Manager?

7. drealynn237305

here are screen shots,ive even switched the ethernet cable and same message and the pci modem had yellow eclam point for a while never effected my connection before

Attached Files:

8. drealynn237305

here are screen shots,ive even switched the ethernet cable and same message and the pci modem had yellow eclam point for a while never effected my connection before

Attached Files:

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'd say defective NIC, cable or router (or whatever you are trying to connect to). "however when i reinstall it says theres no network adapter installed" implies the NIC.

10. drealynn237305

yes when i try to reinstall nic drivers install begins and then a message appears that says cannot installs drivers no network adapter to install to. Thats why i asked how could it have uninstalled itself and what can i do, if anything?

11. drealynn237305

thanks so much for responses however i just took pci card out, popped back in and now everything is back to normal thanks again

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Good fix. :) Maybe it was a little loose or contacts were corroded.

You can mark this solved using the [​IMG] button at the upper left of the page.

13. drealynn237305

I cant connect wifi now on mobile it says that I have np wireless adapte
    r npw what?

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice