1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Cable works modem to pc not to anything else

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RoRo1, Sep 5, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. RoRo1

RoRo1 Thread Starter

I have an ethernet 5e cable attached from an Arris modem to my roku. Works fine. Or rather did work.
    TV read 'options' not 'not connected' which happens when the modem isn't on so that was strange.
    Changed the ethernet cable to a 6. Can't get the roku to work.
    Tried to connect my laptop. No connection to internet.
    Tried a second laptop. No connection. Checked the pc to modem ethernet cable-great signal. Connected laptops to the modem with the same ethernet cable that works great as modem to pc. They don't connect.
    Changed ethernet cable again. Not working to roku or laptops.
    The ethernet port in the laptops and roku have the same lights -1 steady green, 1 blinking Amber light.
    Where do I go from here? 3 bad cables-all different makes???
    Hope someone can help...

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Are you connecting directly to a modem or to a router (ie: modem/router combo unit)? What is the model #?

In any case, based strictly on what you've done so far, I'd suspect a faulty port on the Arris, not 3 bad cables. Was the Arris rebooted each time or at all?

3. RoRo1

RoRo1 Thread Starter

No, Im not ising the router. Going straight from modem to pc or roku.
    The Arris was rebooted once. And I still had no internet access on the laptops but access on the pc. That is what is so confusing: the same cable will work pc to modem but not to laptop.

4. RoRo1

RoRo1 Thread Starter

Ok. Problem solved.
    Turned on modem.
    Plugged laptop to power cable.
    Plugged ethernet cable to laptop.
    Turned laptop on.
    Had internet!
    Tried Roku following same steps-waiting for the internet to be on before I turn on the roku.

Seems the cable company updated their system. By turning on the modem first, then connecting the laptop or roku while off, then turning them on, the laptop or roku can then detect the update and will turn it on.

Thanks and I hope this mess and my solution helps others!

5. lynx1021

lynx1021

I was going to say you might have gotten a crossover cable , there are two types, crossover cables and straight through cables. If two computers or two switches are connected together then a crossover cable is used. A cable used to connect a computer (PC) to a switch will be a straight through cable. Many Ethernet interfaces in use today are able to detect the type of cable, whether it is a straight through or crossover cable, and they are able to adapt to the required format. Your equipment may be detecting the right format, that is why you have to turn it on after you connect.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can fix this by using a router, if you have a basic modem then it's working as expected and it only supports one device at a time and only the device that is connected first when the modem reboots.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232535

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice