1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Cables for file transfer

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jonathan731, Nov 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jonathan731

jonathan731 Thread Starter

I have a desktop and laptop both with XP. Is it possible to just use a regular Ethernet cable to connect them and transfer files??? I dont want to buy a router and make a home network since Im only home once in a while so I just want some important files. Thanks for any help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You will need a CAT5 crossover cable, but they're readily available.

3. jonathan731

jonathan731 Thread Starter

I have a cable that says Tripp-Lite Enhanced Cat-5 UTP 350 MHZ......will that work?

if it does, do i just connect one end to the laptop and the other end into my desktop?

4. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

Nope. You need a cross-over cable. A standard Ethernet cable will not work.

Look at the ends of the cable. You will see 8 wires. In a standard cable, the colors are the same. In a cross-over cable, the green and orange wires are switched.

Courtney sends....

5. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

Hi,

Cross over cable is correct

If you already hae the cable then you could use a cross over adaptor.

This converts a normal ethernet patch cable to a cross over and a crossover cable to a normal patch cable.

With the adpator and either cable, cross over or patch you can connect either way. Cable and adaptor or just cable. Depending on what you need to do.

hth

Ceri

6. catlady13

catlady13

I am really curious, once you have the cross over cable what do you do with it? I assume you hook them to the ethernet ports on both computers but then will one just read the other or do you need to go through some kind of wizard?

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Trusted Advisor

You need to have File and Printer Sharing enabled on both computers, both need to have the same workgroup name but different computer names, and (usually) should be set up with an account that has administrator rights and uses the same username and password on both computers.

8. techno_lust

techno_lust

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/519229