1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet card and DSL don't recognize each other

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ihs1954, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ihs1954

ihs1954 Thread Starter

I have an HP Pavillion 6370Z (330MHz), which I updated a while back from windows 98 to Windows XP service pack 2. PC works fine except now that I want to connect it to the internet via DSL, I I can't. It used to have only a dial up connection to the internet, but also a home network setup for two computers. The PC has a 3COM 3C450 Fast Ethernet card

I am trying to connect it to the internet now with my Embarq 660 series DSL modem; but the card and the modem don’t recognize each other. The modem has no problem otherwise with my other computers when connected directly or through a wireless router (Netgear WNDR3300) .

This is what I have done so far for this PC:
    1. Connected PC directly to DSL modem
    2. Plugged Ethernet cable into router
    3. Tried 3 different Ethernet cables, including very short and very long cable.
    4. Called CenturyLInk (Embarq) and they said it should work without anything if cable is directly plugged into DSL modem
    5. Checked in System>hardware whether card may have a problem
    6. Did the network enable, reset winsock, reboots, reset modem, etc (MS instructions)
    7. Replaced the original driver for the card
    8. Created network connection without requiring password
    9. Probably a few more things, but that’s all I can remember

The DSL modem lights up DSL and Internet, but never the Ethernet LED

Are there any ideas out there for this problem?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What is listed in Device Manager under Network Adapters? What, if any, warnings or errors are in Device Manager?

Please show for an attempted connection ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

3. ihs1954

ihs1954 Thread Starter

TerryNet, the device manager tells me that all functions properly, no error messages. In Advanced settings, Support for 802... was first disabled, then tried it also as enbabled, no difference. There was no value for network address, but the rest was enabled. Under Resources, there was no conflict.
    Here is the ipconfig/all output, Note that even though it says Local Area Connection 3, there really is no other connection, is from my repeated attempts to create one.:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Steve Sutcliffe>ipconfig/all
    Windows IP Configuration
    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ingrid-f1e55qcv
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:
    Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C450 Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-50-DA-B1-9B-82

4. srhoades

srhoades

Sounds like your ethernet port is dead. You can pickup a new card for around $15.

5. ihs1954

ihs1954 Thread Starter

I was hoping I wouldn't have to open the box. I can probably install it, I just don't know what type to use for this old computer. I'm getting it ready for somebody else and they will need to be able to connect to DSL. Do you have a suggestion what could replace the existing card?

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Have you tried to completely delete the network card in device manager and then re-booting to see if you can plug/play it back to life ?

7. ihs1954

ihs1954 Thread Starter

I think so. I deleted the driver, which made the card disappear. When I searched for new HW, it found the card as new HW and I reinstalled the driver. How would I totally delete the card? and what would I need to reinstall it?

8. pedroguy

pedroguy

In device manager,highlight the adapter.Under the action tab select uninstall.This will virtually(not physically) remove the card from the o/s.
    Re-booting the pc will force it to find the "new" hardware and take the necessary steps to re-install it.
    If you look at the lan port,there should be some kind of status light there..Your user's manual should define the status light and what light indicates a good connection.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Better is a PCI card (I'm assuming a desktop) if a slot is available, but you could get a USB ethernet adapter.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice