Ethernet card--Driver problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

philtivvy

Hi
I have been trying to fit a tenda ethernet card model TEL 9939DI to a generic computer running Windows 98.
Initially the card was installed in the expansion slot nearest the edge of the motherboard, call this slot 1. The computer refused to power up at all.
Second tried slot 2. Computer powered up but would not boot Windows.
Third try slot 4 (slot 3 already in use) computer started OK and got dialogue for new hardware.
Put manufacturers driver CD in let computer search for driver, could not find it.
Browsed CD, found Win 98 folder with drivers told computer to look there. Still claimed could not find driver.
Repeated process several times with variations including removing hardware via device manager and attempting to reinstall.
Stll not working. The card was left in place and now after several pages of advice regarding missing drivers Windows starts with a dialogue box sayimg it needs dll msnp.dll to correctly load the device.
What do I do now?
I know the driver CD is OK for I used it to install a similar card on a computer running Windows ME with no trouble at all.
Confused
phil

philtivvy

Thanks cgesicki
I dont think my problem is the driver referred to by windows, that can be replaced from my installation CD.
What worries me more is Why can't Windows find the driver on the manufacturer's CD and is there some kind of hardware conflict, or even a defective card which caused the initial installation problem?
As someone once remarked <The truth is out there> unfortunately I do not know where to look and have to ask people, like you, who do know.
Thanks again
phil

philtivvy

Thanks Flavallee
I have the driver for the device, it's just that Windows cannot find it. That is why I think the real problem is somewhere else.
best wishes
phil

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online