1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ethernet card not recognized,

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by northender, Sep 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. northender

northender Thread Starter

hey forumites! just installed an netgear ethernet card and took out the origial 56k modem out i have the netgear drivers but the hardware manager doesnt tell me that a new item has been added.i then restarted in dos and ran the diag program on the driver disk, which said "check if IRQ for PCI bus has been assigned in rom bios" and if this doesnt work then my eprom may have been erased. ive managed to disable the old modem i think but as far as the rest of the intructions go ,im not sure what i should be looking for in the menus.
    Also, this machine is so slow when you first turn it on, before an after i fitted the hd, it just hangs there for 30 40 seconds with the paccard bell logo then it loadsup xp at normal speed.alwys appreciate the help
    nothender

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

First off, tell us about your system, specs model, processor, etc.

Is it possible your system has a built-in ethernet connector that needs to be disabled in the BIOS?

Try removing all add-in devices except video and ethernet and see what happens. It is possible there are no resources available.

Is it possible this is one of those cards that require you to install the software first and only then do you shut down and install the device? If so, this may be the problem.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try moving the card to a different PCI slot.

4. northender

the machine is a packard bell Imedia 5118 its a P4 1.6 gig with 256 ram, and a 20gig harddisk xp micro atx case.It had no built in ethernet gear on this because my mate had it from new but wasnt on line. there was a dial up modem built in and i took that out when i added the ethernt, the hard drive is not the original, my mate has that in his new pc, as for removing any addons, this netgear card is the only upgrade. there was no motherboard battery though but ive put a new one in.

5. northender

just letting you know that i moved the card to another slot and there was still no change.

6. northender

hi its northender again i tried removing everthing but the video card and ethernet and there was no change, i know these ethernet cards work becaouse i bought 2 and one of them is working fine in an old windows 98 p1. that worked first time with the driver that came with it. so it looks like i have to put back what data was on the eprom. i have no idea how to do this. do i need some ftp software like when you flaf the bios on an xbox? tanks again northender.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/625919

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice