Ethernet card not working... cannot use net

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

invain

I started a similar post in the networking forum, but I have a feeling this is a hardware issue so I'll post here.

My net was working perfectly yesterday during the day, but when I returned to my computer later that night, the LAN&USB status light on my wireless modem was not lit up, and the internet wouldn't work. I checked all the cables, reset the modem, restarted the computer, and still nothing. When I look at the ethernet card at on the backside where the cable plugs in, none of the lights are lit up, if that has anything to do with it. Device manager shows the card as functioning properly, so I'm stumped....

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Try unplugging and plugging in both ends of the Ethernet cable. Or try another ethernet port on the modem/router if there is one or another ethernet cable altogether.

invain

I tried unplugging and plugging everything back in. There is only 1 ethernet port, and I don't really have access to another cable.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Beg, borrow, or steal a cable, since that's the most likely suspect at this point. You need to start eliminating possibilities.

invain

Alright I'll see what I can do about getting a different cable. Can cables just stop working like that for no reason? I did try plugging a usb cable into the usb slot on the modem and then into an empty slot on my computer, and the light came back up. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't wrong with the modem, but it seems alright. I guess the cable is the only thing left...

If the led's on the ethernet port are lit whether there is a cable connected or not so to me it would indicate that something is wrong with the ethernet its self, possibly a power issue. the modem has to recieve a singnal from the pc in order for the LED's on the modem to light. Is the ethernet onboard or a pci card?
Either way you could install another ethernet card to try to souce the problem.

Good Morning Everyone, last time I saw that kind of problem it was a crook card.
Put it in another machine and it worked OK, after much ado it was found to be dying after ten minutes or so. Still showed "this stupid thing is working properly".
Would you like to buy a perfectly good looking damned card!!! Cheap!!!
Cheers, qldit.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It could be the card, I just figure cables are cheaper, so that's what I try first. Of course, I have cables and cards in the closet, so it doesn't cost me anything to test all possibilities. :)

I just bought several cards 3-com and realtek $2 each at a market. (10/100)
That would probably equal US $1.20 each, with warranty. Getting cables out of placements sounds like hard work.
I prefer to keep booze in my cupboard. LOL.
qldit.

invain

OK, I was just checking stuff out again, and I noticed that there aren't any status led's on the ethernet card. There's holes there on the computer case, but no corrosponding led's, so there's never anything lit back there. BTW, it's a PCI card.

That may often appear to be the case but usually if you look closely you will see miniature LEDs mounted on the card respectively.
Things may not be as they appear.
qldit.

invain

Man this is driving me crazy. What the heck coulda happened to it while it was just sitting for a few hours.

Here is an idea. Get another computer or borrow one (don't steal one), and unplug the cable from your computer and plug it into the computer. This will checkt he NIC.

The Ethernet cable is most likely good unless you kicked it or something and stressed it. You coudl always get a cable tester. Anyway, my guess would be a bad nic. If you have an extra one lying around, may as well try it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online