1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ethernet card not working?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by junkmail513, Aug 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. junkmail513

junkmail513 Thread Starter

hi i'm pretty computer illiterate, so bear with me...

i have a linksys etherfast cable modem with usb and ethernet connection. i am currently connecting to the internet thru my usb port, but i would like to do it though the ethernet card since i am eventually goign to have to get a router so my roommate's computer can be connected also (dont worry, im sure i'll have more problems when we get to networking the two computers!!!). For some reason, i can't get the ethernet card working with the cable modem. it worked last year when i lived in the dorms and used their service but i vaguely recall having problems then, perhaps because my card wasnt on their list and then they added it? im not sure what other information to give. oh, and i have windows xp. Any suggestions?

2. cooter-scooter

cooter-scooter

Hi
    Why do you need to plug the modem in to the ethernet card?
    I would have thought it would be easier to leave it in the usb and then your card is free to connect to your friends pc. If your only connecting the two pc's, then all you will need is one lan card and a crossover cable, you will be able to share files, internet connection and hardware and you don't have to have a router for just two pc's.
    Just my two peneth.

Chris

3. junkmail513

hmmm. i have no idea. they told me i needed a router at best buy, and from what i understand the modem hooks to the router and then the router to our two computers. that is when we will need our ethernet cards. but then i will run into the same problem, i dont know how to hook it up with my ethernet card. if i could figure out how to get onto the internet with my ethernet card (instead of the usb) now, i figured it wouldnt be a problem to fix it after we had the router. Do you know whay i might be able to do to try and get my ethernet card working?

4. cooter-scooter

cooter-scooter

I sort of think so, i am relatively new to this too, so it seems as if we are both learning. If you already have a router, you can plug your modem into this. You then need to connect the router to your pc with a cat5 patch cable with 2 male RJ45 plugs. When you are ready to connect your room mates pc, you just need another cat5 patch cable of suitable length and install a ethernet card in his pc. I have just networked my machine to my kids pc in another room. I have an adsl usb modem and a laser and photo inkjet printer which I wanted to share (and keep control of), as they have no internet connection and no printers. I didn't need a router as I only want to connect the two and I already had a Lan card in my machine. A friend had a free PCI Lan card which he gave me, so I only wanted a Cat5 Crossover Cable to network the two. A 15metre crossover cable cost me £18. I still have the modem plugged into the USB. System has a minor bug or two but was relatively easy (so far), to set up and we currently share internet and printers and share data at 100mbs which is plenty quick enough for us. Hope some of this helps.

Chris

5. junkmail513

i have two ethernet cables, and my roommate's computer has an ethernet card. But the problem I'm having is getting the computer to connect using my ethernet card. for some reason, the ethernet card, even though it is all connected properly, is not recieving or sending any data. it just sits there like a lump! if i remember correctly, there are two lights on the ethernet card that should be on and or flashing, and they are both off! IMy system claims that my ethernet card is connected properly, and under the network connections it says "network cable is unplugged" which apparently could mean anything. have no idea what the problem is, or how to start fixing it. Any suggestions?

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You say you are eventually going to get a router......how are you connecting the computers now?

7. junkmail513

right now the computers are not connected. it is only my computer that connects to the internet. the reason i am worried is that the router only works with ethernet cables. and right now the cable modem is connected directly to my computer thru a USB port (NOT the ethernet card, i cant get it to work with the ethernet card). If i cant connect thru the ethernet card now, i dont see how i am going to be able to connect once i get the router. Do you see my problem?

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

You'll need to be sure your ethernet card is configured correctly. Are you ready to test it now? Do you have the appropriate cable?

9. junkmail513

i have the ethernet cable that came with the cable modem, i figured that shoudl work fine, shouldnt it? How do i configure the ethernet card and test it?

10. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Well if Device Manager is telling you that the card is okay, then maybe the cable is bad if the computer is saying that the cable is unplugged. Did you try another cable.

11. junkmail513

Does anyone know what the MAC number is? I am hearing that my MAC number needs to be given to my internet service provider. I will try calling them.

12. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

For Windows XP
    start > run > cmd > getmac

or

start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all

Where it says Physical address, that is your MAC

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/156512

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice