ethernet card not working

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ballplyr

I just recently installed the Netgear FA311 fast ethernet pci card onto my computer. when i installed it it said that the card was properly installed and was working. when i check the device manager i click on "view devices by type" and it is listed but when i click "view devices by connection" it isnt there. also the lights on the actual card do not light up when i plug in the ethernet cord. OS is windows 98. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

I wouldn't be bothered about it not being there on the view by connection screen - my ethernet card isn't on that screen either and it works fine. Have you installed all the network stuff the clients and protocols like TCPIP, IPX etc??

Steven

What device is on the other end of the cable you are plugging into your network card...a hub..router...another PC's NIC?

ballplyr

I am connected to a LAN. it is at a college so it goes directly into the wall. i dont know what i am supposed to load. i just did the automatically detect settings.

Max19

Account Disabled
You'll need to contact someone at your college to get the connection set up. They may require certain protocols and settings, and people here would just be guessing.

The network jack on the wall might need to be activated as well.

You need to register the machine and the mac address with the network - sometimes the computing service of the college will do this online if you can find another computer on the network - also make sure that you are using the correct cable - if it is an RJ45 cable make sure it is not wired to loop back.

Good luck

Hi,

Just to add on to what the other guys are saying, you'll have to expand several components (PCI Bus, PCI Bridge) in Device Manager, before you'll see your card (when viewing by connection). And if you aren't getting connectivity lights at the back of your card, I'd check the cable, and make sure that the drop has been activated. :) (I think that this was already hinted at).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online