Ethernet card problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aseembehl

I am using DSL-502T D-link ADSL Router to connect to my ADSL connection.(256kbps)

I am connecting the above router to my computer through a USB wire.

My router also suppors ethernet card connection with the modem and I have heard ethernet card makes broadband speeds better so I wanted to connect the router to my ethernet card(DAVICOM 9102/A PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter).I have never used the ethernet card before, so i connected it with my router and then enabled the connection, but my computer gives me the message(Limited or no connectivity) and I am not able to browse the internet.

I also updated the drivers, but it gives me the same message.

Please help.

Thanking you in advance for reading this

aseem

Try turning everything off. Power back on in this order. Modem/router, then the computer.

Is that router a modem/router combination?

What you are trying to do will be more reliable than USB.

aseembehl

Thanks for ur reply,

I think it is just the router(I am rather sure)

will try what u said and comeback here

aseembehl

I tried what u said, but still got the same error, LIMITED OR NO NETWORK CONNECTIVITY.

please help

Also will there be no increase in downloading/uploading speed of my connection even after using the ethernet card?

aseem

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I doubt it'll increase the speed, but usually Ethernet makes the network more stable than USB.

With the Ethernet connected, do this:

Open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

aseembehl

This is what I got:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : abc-abb5a56795a

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : DAVICOM 9102/A PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 5C-00-E0-30-08-AD

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.145.180

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Also is there any change in router settings(web access-the admin one) for ethernet card from the settings for USB.

Also I have setup manually a static IP address(using router's web access), for port forwarding for p2p software while using the USB connection(Although the ethernet connection was not working before I did this also)

Do i also need to go back to the old dynamic IP thing?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Did you power cycle after switching from USB to Ethernet? If you didn't , it won't work. Otherwise, let's reset the TCP/IP stack.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

aseembehl

What do u mean by power cycling?Also if I didnt, that means by ethernet card is not working.
Should I get it replaced?

TerryNet

Terry
To power cycle is to remove power (turn the switch off or unplug it) and then to restore power. When the power is off, I'd suggest also removing the USB connection if you haven't already.

From what you've showed us so far, your ethernet card is installed, has a driver and is attempting to get an IP configuration. Don't replace it until you find some indication that it is not working. You could look for a driver update just in case there was a bug that needed fixing--look first on the web site for your computer manufacturer, second on that for the card manufacturer.

But your problem is most likely the procedure for switching the router from USB to ethernet.

I just skimmed through this post, so if I missed something I appologize. After you switched to your nic rather than USB did you change the IP address so that you could communicate with the router. In other words, is it on the same Network address as well as the same subnet. I had a similar problem with my friends system. He had his router set to a 192.168.2.1 address and his nic was set with a 192.168.1.x IP address.

aseembehl

Thanks guys for the concern u all are showing.

Yes I have done the power cycle.
Also as written in my first post, I have also updated the ethernet card drivers.

And yes I had manually set a static IP(192.168.1.2) when I was connected with USB and i didnt change it when i connected with the ethernet card.

So what should I do now ?Should i reset the TCP/IP stack as advised by JohnWill

aseem

TerryNet

Terry
"And yes I had manually set a static IP(192.168.1.2) when I was connected with USB and i didnt change it when i connected with the ethernet card."

IP configuration is specific to the Network Interface device. Your ethernet card is still set to 'obtain IP auto ..." Try setting it the same way you have the USB, except change the IP to, say, 192.168.1.3.

aseembehl

ok i will fill in the above IP in the connection settings

but, do i have to make any changes in the router settings as well ,as I have set a static IP(192.168.1.2) there as well.

aseem

No, your router settings should be fine. Just be sure to have your ethernet card set to an IP address different from that of your router.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.