1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by woodstock1, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodstock1

woodstock1 Thread Starter

My daughter's boyfriend recently had to reformat by hard drive, so we are trying to rebuild everything. We are using Windows 98 and everything was going well except we cannot get the computer to recognize the ethernet card. I use a cable modem for the internet. This is the sum total of what I know. He says he cannot go further until he can get the computer to recognize the ethernet card. He says the card is correctly installed and that the software is loaded. Any suggestions?

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

If the card is installed correctly, then the PC would recognize it.

Try useing hwinfo www.hwinfo.com to determine what the nomenclature of the card is, then download drivers for the correct nomenclature.

Check in the control panel, device manager, uninstall any devices with a yellow "!". Then reboot and install the correct drivers.

Since the PC was formatted, you also need to make sure you loaded the chipset/AGP/miniport/IDE drivers for the motherboard. HWinfo32 will also help determine what motherboard you have so you can find these drivers.

3. ranger007

ranger007

I had an ethernet card that would work with WinXP (and I even think it worked with Win 95), but I could never find the correct drivers for Win98. I know there is a way to make it work, but for me (after visiting sites and trying to download the correct driver) the best way to connect to cable was to go spend $10 or so for another card.

Good luck!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice