Ethernet changes speed randomly each day

nickthebaconman

My ethernet changes speed randomly throughout the day. When it changes speeds it drops connection completely for a few seconds (device sees ethernet as unplugged). I pay for 200mbps so it should not be dropping to 100mbps. Things I have tried: Changing modem and router, change ethernet cables, have a tech change coaxial cables, update/reinstall network drivers. This is an issue with any wired device: pc, console, tv. My ISP (optimum) says its fine on their end and the 200 is being sent to the modem. What can I do to fix this?

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Have you had a ISP tech at your location to test things there?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Also, to confirm, the speed you are talking about is from a speed test site, and not from the network properties? And do you have any other devices that connect to the same router?

Last edited:

nickthebaconman

Have you had a ISP tech at your location to test things there?
There have been several ISP techs that have come over. They changed the router multiple times as well as the modem. And noticed a coacial splitter rusty so they replaced it. The only test they really did was a wifi speed test and noticed the wifi speeds are where they need to be, but didnt answer as to why the ethernet is acting how it is.

nickthebaconman

Also, to confirm, the speed you are talking about is from a speed test site, and not from the network properties? And do you have any other devices that connect to the same router?
I have 5 devices connected via wifi and 3 connected via ethernet. It does not work when I try connecting one device via ethernet alone. I have an ubee all in one router/modem model UBC1322

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
They have always done a a Cat5 connect test when ever they (Comcast) has been here.

Next time ask them to do one

nickthebaconman

They have always done a a Cat5 connect test when ever they (Comcast) has been here.

Next time ask them to do one
Okay I will do that. They are coming Thursday. I did indeed have them change from cat 5 to cat 6 but I will ask them to check the ethernet ports, cables, and coaxial cables.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online