1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Connection Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GPE, Dec 24, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GPE

GPE Thread Starter

I recently had a hard drive failure. After installing a new internal hard drive, formatting and installing XP Home/SP2, I reinstalled all my back up files and tweaks etc. All is lean, mean and secure. However, when I was checking my Device Manager, I noticed the yellow ? next to my Ethernet Controller, which explains why I had to reconnect to my DSL through a USB connection instead of my previous ethernet connection.

In my Ethernet Controller Properties, under the General Tab, it reads as follows:

Device Type: Other Devices
    Manufacturer: Unknown

Under the device status states, "Drivers for this device are not installed (code 28). I tried to reinstall the drivers through the Hardware Update Wizard, but it failed and stated, "Hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.

I have an Intel Pro 100 M Integrated PCI NIC Card.

Thank you in advance for any for any guidance on this.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    did you instal the correct drivers for the device?? - where are you getting them from?
    you could delete from device manager and then wait for windows to find and then point to the correct drivers

have you installed your motherboard drivers ??

video drivers
    sound drivers

often need installing - with the correct manufactureres drivers

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/311199

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice