1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Connection only works on 10 Mbps/Full Duplex

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mindoc, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mindoc

mindoc Thread Starter

My desktop runs on Windows XP SP2 with a 3com 3c905tx-based ethernet adapter and I have a Belkin Wireless router. I recently wanted to hardwire my internet connection, but when I connected an ethernet cable to the desktop I got a message "network cable is unplugged." When I connected the same cable to my laptop it worked fine at 100 Mbps. I called a local computer store and they sold me a new ethernet card, but I got the same message when I used their card. :( I searched on the internet and found a recommendation to use Device Manager to change the setting for the ethernet adapter's media type from "auto" to "10 Mbps/Full duplex." When I did this the connection works fine, but it does not work on auto or 100 Mbps. Is something wrong with the computer or software? Why doesn't it work at the faster speed when my laptop does? :confused: How can I correct this? Please explain what the speed setting and "Full duplex" mean as far as my networking capability.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Full duplex means that your able to send information at the same time as recieve information.

If your able to get 100mb on the laptop with the same cable your using for the desktop I would think this is simply a PC issue. Have you ensured this new card has the most up to date drivers?

Is the 3com 3c905tx-based ethernet adapter the new card or the old one on the PC that didn't work at all?

Another BIG question is if the one that showed network cable unplugged is it an integrated on MB card? If thats the case have you made sure its not disabled in the bios or that you don't have the option to right click the connection and pick enable?

3. mindoc

mindoc Thread Starter

The 3 Com is the old ethernet adapter, it is not integrated on the motherboard, it is a separate card, and it is the adapter I am using at 10 Mbps. When I tried the new card I installed it with the most up to date drivers and it did not work so I returned to the old card. Should I search the internet for drivers for the 3 com? Thanks for your help.

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

You may want to try updating the drivers for this card check here -http://support.3com.com/infodeli/tools/nic/3c905.htm

3C90X1.EXE not sure if the 5.4 is the newest out there I know its an older card. It could be that your 100 communications on your card has gone south and it will only operate in 10 mode if this is the case you will have to get a new card working in that PC.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also seen this problem more than once due to bad cables.

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

That's the only reason I don't suspect a cable issue.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It's kinda amazing what can happen. Certainly worth a simple try to use another known working cable. Again, seen it more than once. Might not be it but shouldn't cost much it time or money.

It's also curious that another likely newer card gave the same results.

When you connected the laptop with the same cable, were you also using the same port on the router. That's another possibility.

8. mindoc

mindoc Thread Starter

I was using the same port on the router. I just disconnected the cable from the desktop and connected it to the laptop. I will try updating the driver and changing router port's. I already tried a new ethernet card and had the same problem. I will report back.

9. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

I just had this problem with a friends computer last night, in his case it was an onboard nic. Just went into device manager and uninstalled it, and restarted computer. After the nic reinstalled itself it worked just fine, so its probably just some buggy driver issue.

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Tough part is that the same thing happened with two different Ethernet cards, one a new install.

Have you swapped with a new known working cable? Again not often but have seen this to solve the problem. Certainly not an expensive or time consuming thing to try in comparison to getting a new network card. And nothing else has worked either. Maybe not but worth a try.

11. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Could this possibly be something in his winsock on this specific PC? I mean if the cables and ports work on one PC and not on another.. If adding another adapter onto the PC has the same effect then you know its probably not hardware level... This is making me think it may be transport level I.E. TCP/IP stack problems or something.

I am now grasping at straws and brain storming to see what others think.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

That error message is usually due to problems lower down. For example, you could and NetBEUI and still get the same error. It isn't the stack it's hardware.

13. Rockn

Rockn

The connection type is at the hardware layer. I have had this same problem with other ethernet adapters when the BIOS on the PC wasn't set to PCI Bus Mastering enabled. I would check the BIOS PCI settings to see what they are at.

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yep you have to get lower than the protocol stack to solve hardware layer issues.

15. mindoc

mindoc Thread Starter

A followup for all of you who tried to help. I tried everything suggested. I changed cables, installed a different ethernet adapter, uninstalled and reinstalled the existing adapter, checked the Bios and confirmed that PCI Bus Mastering was enabled, and more. Nothing has worked.
    For unrelated reasons I am going to upgrade my motherboard. That should take care of the problem (an expensive fix), I hope. I will let you know. Thank you for all your help.

Mindoc

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/464691

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice