1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet controller driver... not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cOrPsEy, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cOrPsEy

cOrPsEy Thread Starter

Ok so i re-installed windows but not by using the default patch... i just installed windows. Its XP home edition with ALL updates. I believe its a broadcom bcm5701 intergrated. My computer is a Gateway 840gm. Its not media edition though. I put XP home one it. Im on wireless right now. Thanks

[​IMG]

2. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

Have you tried right clicking on it and clicking update driver?

That usualy sorts out the yellow warning signs for me.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

What's a default patch? :confused:

Did you install your motherboard drivers, and the driver for the device?

4. cOrPsEy

cOrPsEy Thread Starter

yes i installed mobo drivers, it wasnt the factory windows re-install. Yes when i update it says cannot start device.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
  6. Ditchster

Ditchster

cOrPsEy: please be honest - are you using original OS software??

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

If you have internet connectivity go to Windows Update let the site scan the machine and see if Microsoft has the driver for it.

8. cOrPsEy

cOrPsEy Thread Starter

Yes i am im using real windows its legit. Its just i installed ubuntu for a while and that removed my backup and everything. So i formatted and installed windows Xp home from and old emachines recovery cd i had (didnt install anything but windows). I have every one of my other drivers this one is just being a pain in the ***. I will look at that link now.

*update*
    where do i put those drivers?

9. Hughv

Hughv

This is fairly easy to find at the Gateway site.

10. cOrPsEy

cOrPsEy Thread Starter

im not an idiot dude i got the drivers and that error comes up... idk what to tell you.

11. Hughv

Hughv

No one has called you an idiot...yet.
    Get the chipset drivers and install them.

12. cOrPsEy

cOrPsEy Thread Starter

13. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The chipset and graphics drivers are incorporated in the same download in some computers and in separate downloads in other computers.

14. win2kpro

win2kpro

My question is this. Why are you using an old eMachine system builder recovery disk to try to install Windows on a Gateway machine?

Unless the motherboard are the same or at least very close in specs the eMachines system builder recovery disk is is very likely installing the wrong chipset driver.

Many system builder recovery disks automatically install the chipset and other drivers during reinstallation to bring the machine back up to the original eMachine configuration.

System builder recovery disks are not the same as a regular OEM disks. System builders change some of the attributes of the installation to comply with their specific system requirements.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/853253

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice