1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet controller driver PLEASE HELP.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eid4, Mar 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eid4

eid4 Thread Starter

I recenrtly reset my laptop to factory settings, and now I cannot use my ethernet port as its not recognized this is what I see in the Device Manager

http://i.imgur.com/qJNfHHn.png

Can anyone help me out I need the ethernet.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    At the same window in your screen shot click the Details tab, select Hardware Ids in the Property drop down list and post that screen shot please. With that info we can find the correct driver for your Ethernet.

3. KuRsAnI

KuRsAnI

I think your best bet is to update your drivers. After sifting through a couple solutions, it's either that or replace your current "presumably broken" port with a PCI card. There's a couple suggestions on this website which could be helpful to you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/ethernet-port-not-recognizing-ethernet-cable-570536.html

You could also try to plug in a new Ethernet cable. As suggested in this link, you could try to boot from a flash drive with a Linux install and see if your port works from there. If it does, then your software is the problem. If it doesn't, it's your hardware.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2835564/when-your-ethernet-wont-connect.html

EDIT: Apparently Linux is finicky about its choice of cooperating with hardware, so that 2nd test shouldn't be taken with too much serious, but I guess it's worth the try

4. eid4

eid4 Thread Starter

5. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Please post which Windows version you're running, Xp,7,8, 8.1 or 10 and which bit version, 32 or 64 bit.

6. eid4

eid4 Thread Starter

Windows 8.1 64 bit.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It would also be helpful if we had an exact Make and Model Number of the laptop (example Dell Inspiron 15 3521). Substitute your laptop numbers.

8. eid4

eid4 Thread Starter

MODEL IS.

MS-16GC.
    its made by Cyberpowerpc.com I think its MSI.

9. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  10. eid4

eid4 Thread Starter

I did exactly that, and it just said windows was unable to install your ethernet controller even when I chose the right folder extracted from 7 zip.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, I can't find any drivers for an MS-16GC. Is there any other identification info. underneath the laptop ?

12. CoolBurn

CoolBurn

13. eid4

eid4 Thread Starter

it has to be MSI as the laptop brand thing. I dont know what information to look for also killer suite is downloading

14. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok leave the ID thing alone for now and see if the killer suite does the trick.

15. eid4

eid4 Thread Starter

Holy ****, that worked.

thank you so much man.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice