1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Ethernet Controller help

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Rds707, Jan 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rds707

Rds707 Thread Starter

My old desktop has been running slow for along time so i thought i would completely wipe it and reinstall windows xp on it. It made the computer alot faster but i can't connect to the internet. Im not very good with computers but when I go to the device manager it says that both the Ethernet Controller and the Multimedia Audio Controller are missing, they have yellow question marks beside them. Does anyone know how I could get my internet working? If it helps I have a 1394 Net Adapter Im not sure if that helps at all.

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

[​IMG] and welcome to the Forum

You just need to load the Motherboard drivers. What Brand and Model is this PC? . . if a custom build, Brand and model of Motherboard

3. Rds707

Rds707 Thread Starter

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Nothing wrong with Dells . . actually they are one of the best when it comes to support

You can go to the Dell support site, enter your Service Tag Number and download the drivers. Be sure to use IE and do not use the Dell Download Manager!

Just download the driver file, save it to the desktop and double click to install

On the list of drivers, click on the driver file:

[​IMG]

Then the download button here:

[​IMG]

See this for the order they should be installed:
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...0C0937D62A8739E0401E0A55174744&doclang=en&cs=

5. Rds707

Rds707 Thread Starter

Do you know how I could get that to my computer from my laptop? Because of that I have no internet on my desktop or is that even the problem for the no internet?

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

Copy the drivers to a flash drive or burn them to a CD . . install on the other one

7. Rds707

Rds707 Thread Starter

Thanks for the help I'l go see if this works.

8. Rds707

Rds707 Thread Starter

Before i saw you say don't use their download manager i did and now it wont let me download it do you know how to just download it using ur browser again?

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

Either uninstall the Download Manager or use another machine

10. Rds707

Rds707 Thread Starter

I installed exactly what you told me to and it did nothing when i go to my device manager it still shows the ethernet controller as a yellow question mark.

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

Did you install the Chipset Driver first?

12. Rds707

Rds707 Thread Starter

Is there more than one driver i need to download I thought there was just the chipset? Im not very good with computers..

13. Old Rich

Old Rich

YOu need the Chipset first . . then the network adaptor drivers, then the sound

14. Rds707

Rds707 Thread Starter

k i installed the chipset now what is the network adaptor driver called and the sound driver called?

15. Old Rich

Old Rich

Network Adaptor is under "Network" . . Sound is under "Audio"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!