1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

ethernet controller missing drivers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Piff_rowr, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Piff_rowr

Piff_rowr Thread Starter

Hi There

I am having an issue with my computer. I went on vacation about a week ago, shut down my computer, came back, my computer was running(I can only assume family had been using it) and it could not access internet.

I was using a DSL modem with a USB connection.

I moved, am trying to set up at new house with a cable modem.

The problem appears to be missing drivers for ethernet controller and "USB Cable Modem",

I am running Windows XP Pro on a custom built machine

Mother Board is

GIGABYTE GA-P31-S3G LGA 775

I have downloaded/installed chpset drivers from mfg website and they do not fix the problem.

I have tried to install USB Drivers for Cable Modem and it requests that I install USB Drivers first

I am using Other USB Devices so I assume that my USB drivers are intact, and this is simply a networking driver issue.

I have tried uninstalling the hardware from the system and attempting to let windows reinstall it without success

Any suggestions? Could this be virus related?

thanks

2. Ditchster

Ditchster

You should download and run this free and trusted registry/system cleaner
    http://www.tucows.com/preview/410051

Before you have given your system a good going over - do some back-ups of your vital data - then try installing your previously downloaded mobo drivers.

3. Piff_rowr

Piff_rowr Thread Starter

Hi again.

Thank you for the software suggestion. Its a nice piece. It found multiple registry errors and spyware missed by my other program. However it did not help with the current problem. Any other suggestions ?

thanks

4. Megabite

Megabite

What does it say in Device Manager?

Open Device Manager

Press down and hold the Windows Logo key the press the Pause Break key together another screen will open..
    click on Device Manager
    Go down the list and click on the + sign for Network adapters and expand it....see what is says

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Registry Cleaners are something that are definitely not recommended as they most often create more problems than they repair. Depending on your OS Is this where you downloaded the drivers from? http://www.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=2676 The USB functions should be in the Chipset drivers. THere are two different Ethernet drivers listed, one is for Vista and the other is for XP. Are you sure you chose the right one?

6. Piff_rowr

Piff_rowr Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply

I have had the same issue with registry cleaners before.

to answer your question megabyte, there is not even a listing for network adapters... Either I missed that or it is a new problem since this morning.

I am certain I chose the correct one. I also pulled the disk from when I bought the board and attempted it again today to no avail.

The other USB devices continue to work correctly. Yet for some reason the modem will not work with this computer. Considering that I had the same problem on the DSL modem right before moving, I can only assume that there is a problem in how my computer communicates with any modem. It is localized to internet connection using USB or Ethernet adapter. I do not have an additional usb Wireless card or i would try with that. I've double checked my drivers, i've attempted a windows restore, I have verified that it is specific to this machine. If this were only a bad driver I wouldn't worry about it, but that does not seem to be the case.

Thank you all for your help.

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    THere may be something for you to try, if you have a Windows XP Installation disc, such as a retail disc or an OEM installation disc. Not a system disc that came with a big box computer, you can try a Repair Installation of Windows. Follow the directions here. http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm The only thing that you will have to do is install any Service Packs that are not included on your installation disc. It will keep intact all of your installed Programs and settings, also it will not delete any of your Data files such as Pictures, music, and documents. I have solved a lot of problems in XP using this.

8. Piff_rowr

Piff_rowr Thread Starter

okay....

repair install was not such a great idea. Assorted errors throughout install reporting missing or corrupt files, multiple errors reporting missing or corrupt files once windows loaded (and not the files that were reported missing during the install) computer functions still, but its not a happy machine. I'm going to take it back to square one and reformat the OS drive. It acts a bit like a nasty virus I had a while back that required a reformat. It might be safer to start with a clean canvas here. Unfortunately, if it is a virus, I have no idea where it would have came from. I have essentially 4 partitions on this computer, I'm questioning wiping those as well,

It doesnt look like my firewall/virus protection is up to par, its let things slip in the past and this might be just another case

Could anyone suggest a decent, FREE or inexpensive virus/spyware program that runs an active protection?

I have essentially been running malware bytes, ad aware, and norton.... all of them seem to have decent sized holes. I'm a graphic artist, this is my work horse machine, and I'm really paranoid about losing client files.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Obviously you have several backup copies of your client files, correct? If not, you open yourself up to a lawsuit. I would suggest that should be your first concern before continuing to try to fix your computer.

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    As far as a good Free Antivirus program, I use Avira. I have not had a virus since I started using it, ANd it cuaght things that were on my system that other AV Programs allowed through when I switched to it.

11. Piff_rowr

Piff_rowr Thread Starter

yes I have backups to the client files. One is an external drive, one is internal on a separate partition just for backing up files. I'm covered, yet still paranoid. my best bet would to have an isolated computer completely for work, and another for home usage. I'm also working on a frankenstein machine for home usage and the work station will be solely for work purposes. but, Its a slow process building what I want.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/852758

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice